Chapter Sixty-Two ۞ Feverish

"How?" Gavin asked. He ripped the veil from his face and revealed his identity, the surprise eminent. "I thought I was subtle."

"Like I said, the conversation gave you away. You had the same voice when you spoke of those books from the library. You've always been passionate about those things." He said. "Now, I dislike the drama. I prefer this be stopped."

Gavin could not believe his ears. "I expected you to be enraged."

"I'm not the same boy you knew, Gavin." He told him. "I do lose my temper, but not over things like this."

He laughed, "You lose your temper when you are called a jerk and an idiot."

The muscle under Corvan's right eye twitched. "This conversation is not what you start."

Gavin started laughing.

"Are you done?"

When he finally ceased, he said, "Then what sort of plans do you have for this nation, Corvan?" He asked.

"Something with you in it. I require your assistance, cousin."

Gavin went back to his seat as he pondered. "Well, this is a first. Your asking for my help is quite a strange notion. Alright, I will hear you out. How do I lend you my aid?"

"I will not ask you to stop thieving because I know you will not listen, you stubborn mule." Corvan huffed.

"Good thing we are clear."

"I need the opposite from you. I want you to continue."

"You approve? My this is—"

"I do not approve." He said. "But still, I want you to continue."

"Does that mean you will not turn me over?"

"Do not be mistaken, cousin. No one cannot know that I let you off nor the fact that I support you. I recommend you be more subtle with this, because I cannot help you once you are caught. If my hand is forced, I will not have a choice."

"I see." Gavin stood. "Still, this is more than enough, coming from you."

"Just be reminded that I—" Corvan stopped short. His eyes shot open and he placed a hand on his chest, as though he suddenly could not breathe.

"Corvan." His cousin's brows furrowed, confused. "What is the matter?"

Without prior warning, the first-ranker suddenly fell over. If it weren't for Gavin, who caught him, he would've ended up a helpless pile on the ground. The chivalrous thief carried him over to the chair he had taken before and made him sit.

"Something is wrong." Corvan wheezed, beads of sweat materializing from his skin, leaving a thin sheen.

"What is it?"

"I do not know. But I—" He gritted his teeth. "AGGH!"

Corvan bellowed, as though he was undergoing severe pain. Saeed and Omar burst through the tent with their weapons ready. When they saw Gavin without his veil, they seemed perplexed.

"Did he have a heart attack?" Omar asked.

"I don't know. Was it too much?" Saeed replied.

"Come help me, you fools!" Gavin exclaimed.

Stunned to action, they leaped forward.

"What do we do?"

"I am unsure. Get Jameela here! Now!" He commanded. "One of you stay and help me keep a watch over him."

Omar and Saeed exchanged glances and nodded at one another. Omar left in a rush and Saeed came forward. Both him and Gavin took an arm of Corvan and helped guide him to the bed on the far left.