Chapter 46 - Charity

To @anneai for being like Althea in real life but certainly a stronger and wiser version of the shattered girl in this story. You inspire me with your life story and I hope my heroine will eventually turn out to be that strong and wise girl in the end. Well, I think, we all deserve a happy ending and the right guy by our side. This chapter is for you @anneai and may you finally find him.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

~~~ CHAPTER 46 - CHARITY ~~~

"Oh, you invited her!" It was the surprised exclamation of Madam Melanie Suarez, Javier's mom, when she saw me.

"Yes, mom, of course," Javier said as he kissed her cheek.

She went near me and we kissed each other's cheeks, too.

"Good evening, Madam," I greeted her.

The first lady of the province didn't answer me. Glancing at Javier, she said instead, "I need to meet the others. Suit yourself." She walked away and, as usual, her dominance and sophistication left me breathless.

Suit yourself. Why did it sound sarcastic?

The event was held in the town gymnasium and, surprisingly, few people were present as compared to the last time that I attended. Dinner was served first before the program.

Javier had been very sweet and caring from the time that I got into his car, until we arrived at the venue and all through out the meal. He made sure that I was feeling comfortable and satisfied with my seat, my food, and my drink. Sometimes, I would steal a glance at him and think to myself why my heart couldn't just settle for him.

No matter how I tried to fill Javier in my heart, I still couldn't feel the sparks, the butterflies, and that familiar beating... but more than that, I just didn't feel anything for him at all. And now that I was in the event, I didn't even feel happy with myself that I was sitting next to him. My mind kept on wandering... and was thinking only of one particular man. My heart was in pain and I felt so sad.

We couldn't really teach our hearts and, if I wanted Nigel to be truthful of his feelings, I had to be truthful of mine as well. If Nigel's choice was Maria Stella, so be it.

But Javier wasn't my choice and wouldn't be, so I had to be truthful of it. It would be very unfair to him if I'd still go out with him but think of another man instead. So, tonight, after the event, I decided that when Javier would take me home, I would tell him how I really felt for him. I would tell him that he could only be a friend to me... nothing more, nothing less.

So... what would I become in the future?

Perhaps, I'd spend myself being a spinster. I was getting desperate, perhaps... The world might not understand how I felt but my heart wasn't anymore ready to endure any more pain.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

The program was opened by the governor's speech. I focused myself listening to him.

Javier's dad was a confident man. One look at him on stage and you knew that he was already used to public speaking.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm so glad of your presence tonight..." he started.

I listened to the rest of the speech and got a little confused.

"It's been a public knowledge that I am running for the senate these coming elections. Your support on my candidacy will be of great help for me to extend the scope of my service. My dear friends, the linkage that we've established through the years was enough for my family to be confident of the support that you will be extending. I look forward to this support that I am expecting from you."