34

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

Still in my life . . .

"HOLY cra—" I immediately covered my mouth when I realized that Elena was eating in front of me.

Jusko, Shin. Nasa'n na ang manners mo?

"Why did you stop? Go on, spill," she said, pointing me her fork while she's licking her spoon.

"What I was about to say, was a bad word, baby. It's inappropriate for you to hear that. Sorry," I said, pinching her cheek. Nakagigigil kasi ang pisngi niya.

I really love her. She's too adorable.

"Mommy, please bring me with you to your office tomorrow, alright? I promise to behave," she said, pouting.

Oh, come on. How could I say no to her if she's too cute?

Lumapit tuloy ako sa kanya saka ko siya hinalikan sa pisngi. Ang cute niya kasi talaga, hindi ko na mapigilan.

"Elena, I told you not to call her that. She's not your mom," Nico said, rolling his eyes as he shoved a box of milk into the refrigerator.

"But I want Shin to be my mom," Elena retorted, crossing her arms over her chest. Cute.

"Stop it, Elena," Nico said impatiently. I let out a small laugh, tapping him on his shoulder. "Chill, Nico. It's fine with me."

"But it's not fine with me. I don't want my daughter to grow up calling you mom. That's not—right."

Agad na napataas ang kilay ko.

"That's why you should date already! Jesus, Nico. You've been single for so many years!" sermon ko sa kanya.

"My dating life is none of your business, Shin. And don't talk like you're married because we both know that you're single as fuck."

"Daddy, what's fuck?" Elena intruded. My eyes widened, and I immediately covered her ears.

Nagtataka siya sa ginawa ko. I should come up with a lie. I should. I should. Ugh! Bakit ba kasi ang bad influence ng daddy niya?

Few moments later, I removed my hands from her ears. "Daddy said duck," I lied.

I exchange glances with Nico discreetly, mouthing that she's just a kid and she should not be hearing things like that. Nico shrugged before getting my bag from the chair.

"You're going to be late. You need to go," he said, handing me my bag.

I rolled my eyes and glared at him before leaving. He obviously wanted to get rid of me already. What a very polite friend.

Elena probably got her cuteness from her mom. It's impossible for her to get it from Nico.

Nico became a father five years ago, when he was in his third year in college. 'Yong ex ni Nico, si Marra, iniwan niya sina Nico at Elena pagkatapos niyang ipanganak si Elena. She's unbelievable, right? Giving birth to a child and leaving it with no hesitations just because she's still not ready.

Dapat kahit ano'ng mangyari, panindigan mo 'yong ginawa mo. Kahit hindi ka handa. Kahit hindi mo sinasadya. Kasi buhay 'yong pinag-uusapan do'n, eh. Hindi naman sapat 'yong basta iniluwal mo lang tapos iiwan mo na. Minsan nakadi-disappoint din talaga mga tao sa panahon ngayon. Although hindi ko naman alam 'yong pinagdaraanan nila, mali pa rin kasi talaga. Sino ba namang anak ang matutuwa na iniwan siya ng nanay niya, 'di ba?

As soon as I arrived at the company, I directly went to Ms. Leila's office. Siya 'yong nag-te-train sa 'kin sa Finance Department. She's too strict and cold-hearted, pero marami talaga akong natututunan sa kanya kaya gustong-gusto ko siya.

"But—I'm on leave tomorrow, Ms. Leila. I have urgent matter to attend to," I said. She was planning to send me to Realgorez tomorrow to meet Mr. Adams, the CEO of Fellser Corporation.

"So? Adjust your schedule, Ms. Park. Because the company won't adjust for you. Keep that in mind," she said, raising a brow at me. Tiklop na naman ako pagdating kay Ms. Leila. Napabuntonghininga tuloy ako.

Tomorrow's an important day for me. Mag-resign na lang kaya ako? Of course, that's not an option. My dad would probably kill me.

Leaving me with no choice, I just nodded and went out of her office.

***

"I'M home!" sigaw ko pagkapasok na pagkapasok ko sa bahay.

I halted when I caught my dad making out with Diana on the couch. "Sorry," I said, flashing them a mischievous smile. Grabe naman, sana sa kuwarto na lang nila ginagawa 'yan, 'di ba.

My dad rolled his eyes, and that made me laugh. I immediately went upstairs and locked my room.

I just lay on my bed and stared at the ceiling. Nakapapagod din talaga 'yong araw-araw na ginagawa ng bawat tao, 'no?

A smile escaped my lips when I suddenly remembered Helix. He was the one who introduced Diana to my dad, and until now, they're still together. Grateful ako na si Helix ang naging tulay nina dad at Diana.

If ever my dad informed me he'd marry her, I'm going to be cool with that. My dad deserved to be happy, and I'd never do something that could take that happiness away from him.

My phone buzzed with a chat from Messenger kaya agad kong kinuha ang phone ko at tiningnan kung sino'ng nag-message.

Andrew: Hey, 'wag kayong male-late bukas!

Zeke: @Nico

Nico: Well, you couldn't blame me. I have a daughter. You all don't have one. Lmao

Gerald: Roasted

Andrew: Wtf man? Isn't that supposed to be "burn"???

Nico: HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA Sa'n galing 'yong roasted, Ger?

Zeke: Gutom na gutom. LOL

A smile escaped my lips.

No matter how many years had passed, their friendship remained the same. And I'm glad they're still in my life. Kung wala sila, malamang bored na bored na talaga ako dahil puro bahay at trabaho lang lagi ang punta ko.

Marami nang nangyari, marami na ring nagbago, marami na rin ang nawala. Kaya ang makita at makausap sila ay talagang malaking bagay para sa 'kin. Kasi it's a proof that we still got each other's back no matter how old we've become.

Gerald: Shut up, people. Btw, may balita na kayo kay Dest?

Zeke: Nah.

Nico: He deactivated all his social media accounts ever since that day.

Andrew: Shin, leave ka na kaya dito sa gc? We don't need a lurker here. Talk, man.

I laughed as I rolled my eyes.

Shinessa: Get yourself a girl already, Andrew. You were the one who dated a lot of girls way back in high school. What happened to you now?

Nico: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Three points for Shin!

Zeke: Roasted

Gerald: Shut the hell up, Zeke.

Laughing, I put my phone over the table.

I closed my eyes slowly, wondering what I should bring tomorrow for Hel's birthday.

~

T I A N A V I A N N E