Acknowledge That You've Been Beat.

××
I finished writing up the program.

'The code allows the user input any random number—or letters—or sequence of numbers, or letters, and changes the existing password into the preferred password.' I explained to the hero who was resting head on my shoulder, trying to get a better look at the tablet on my lap.

'Amazing, complex, but amazing.' He sighed in admiration. 'Definitely trickier than hacking straight through the software to get the password, but extremely effective.'

He ran his hand through my hair. 'How long is your hair anyway?'

He drew out a strand, holding it at arms length. 'Very long, I reckon. Call it curiosity.'

I shuddered. So this is how Robin feels when I do this to him.

'So many things that could be done with your hair.' He seemed to be musing to himself.

So this is what it means for "two to play a game".

Interesting.

I turned to him, smiling alluringly. 'Can you open the door now, Robin?'

'I could, but I'm having so much fun.' He straightened up as he let out a laugh.

'But, I am bored.' I bit my lip.

'Okay, but only because you asked.' He pretended to think about it, holding out his hand.

I accepted it, letting him pull me up. 'What are we going to do?'

'Avoid Batman, because he'll be here any moment now.'

He dashed out the room, through the door, dragging me along.

'Any other secrets that you're willing to share?' He asked, weaving through the hallways with me in tow.

I laughed. 'I have some ideas.'

He looked at me eagerly.

I laughed again. 'You wouldn't like them.'

'Try me.' He grinned.

'I downloaded The Nightshade's system onto yours.' I whispered in a volume that would be difficult for even a kryptonain to hear.

His smile disappeared and was replace with a frown, his hand tightened painfully around my wrist.

What?! His whole body seemed to scream, but his face remained blank like he didn't hear me.

We kept walking.

'Explain, but don't stop walking. I gave my trust to you, don't let that be a mistake.'

I gazed up at him, warmth growing in my chest as I looked back down.

He trusted me, really.

Not for long though. Once he knows it'll be over. It was nice while it lasted.

'Start talking.' He hissed, pulling me into a dark room.

'It was before I made the promise.' It took my eyes sometime to adjust. We were in a supply closet.

'So you meant to use it as an homing beacon to your Shades?' His voice carried no emotion.

I looked at anywhere but him.
'Yes. Initially I wanted to use that as a means to escape after I. . . recuperated.'

'And now?' He asked, his voice painfully strained.

I closed my eyes, leaning my head on the door. 'I'm not going to use it, not for the same reason anyway,' I added as an afterthought.