"Finally!" Linn says as my door opens, huffing. When she sees my gown, she gasps.
"How do you like it?" I ask, twirling a little to show off the twinkling mirrors.
"Oh, Elaine, it's wonderful, dear. I'm half afraid you'll outshine me at my own ball!" Her lip pushes out in a pout.
It's not likely I'll outshine her. Her beautiful black hair is drawn back softly by her coronet. Her light complexion almost glows. She wears a pale pink gown with roses embroidered on it in red and dusky pink.
"Me? I couldn't! You look beautiful. Prince Ryin will be awestruck!" I enthuse. Ryin was a young prince of the house of Inconnu, a House that had always been hostile to us, the house of Oriflamme. Two years ago, when Linn was sixteen, he was here with a peace delegation. Spying her one night on her way to her chambers, he was struck by her beauty. He made inquiries as to her identity, and schemed to be introduced to her at the ball, and that was that. But being too young to marry, when he left, they conducted courtship by letter and fell in love. Now, at eighteen, Linn was ready to strike out on her own. Her marriage would bring peace and wealth to both Houses, and everyone could not be more pleased.
"Girls, are you coming? We'll be late!" Aunt Annalise calls.
"Coming!" We both answer, hurrying as fast as princesses were allowed. I was almost exploding with excitement.
My aunt was waiting in front of a pair of Royal purple curtains. We both curtsied to her, and she nodded in satisfaction.
"Good. Sandra did a good job, Elaine. Are you ready?" Her dark purple eyes, the distinctive mark of our House, tighten on to me, assessing me.
"Yes, Aunt, I think I am."
She nods, turns and taps her knuckles against the wall. The curtains open. My first ball.
According to protocol, Aunt Annalise goes first, then Linn, and finally, me. As I step out in the dazzling lights, I step into a new world.