27.

We all laughed at Fox's lame attempt to joke (we were the only ones left inside the store) about someone turning into an owl or something when Julian stood up.

"Well, this has been really splendid but I need to talk to Claire alone. Come on, we're going for a walk." Julian said out of nowhere.

I looked at him with a surprised look.

"We are?" I asked.

"Yeah, we are. Come on. Let's go." He said.

"I guess we are, then." I said, shooting my friends a confused look who, in return, gave me knowing ones.

I glared at them.

I looked at Marianne on the way out and said, "See you soon, Marianne."

She smiled at me. "See you soon, Claire." She answered in that smooth voice of hers.

We went outside and the smell of rain and the chilliness of the weather remained. I hugged myself and let out a sigh.

"Are you cold? Here." He took off his jacket and placed it around my shoulders.

I stared at him in surprise. Never, in a million years, would Julian offer me his jacket willingly. I'm pretty sure he'd rather set himself on fire than do that so... why did he?

I'm thinking too much.

Deciding to loosen up, I gave him a small smile. "Thanks." We were silent for a while as we continued to walk away from the ice cream shop. "So, what did you want to talk about?" I asked.

He looked at me, startled. "Right. Sorry. I spaced out. Uh, the plan. Right. So, Hailey Peterson is having a birthday bash this Sunday. I'm pretty sure Jack and Stacey will be there. I was thinking we could maybe crash it. Something that includes spiking the punch and-"

Before I could stop myself, I blurted out, "I can't."

He looked at me and raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

I didn't answer.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

I can't see you anymore. I don't want to see you anymore. I can't continue with the plan. I'm thinking too much. I want to stop thinking. I don't want to see you until everything is fine. Me. Me. Me.

I'm what's wrong.

I cleared my throat. "I can't on Sunday... and Saturday. Mom and Dad are going on a business trip in New York and Colton is going with them because he's been invited to some baseball camp, to which he couldn't say no to. His words, not mine. So, it'll just be me and Cole for the entire weekend." I rambled. "I have to babysit." I added.

He nodded, trying to fight a smile. "Is that all you're going to do?"

And maybe steal some of my brother's ice cream he "secretly" hides in the basement fridge and cry while watching The Fault In Our Stars.

"Yeah. That's all."

He pursed his lips before giving me a smile that, unfortunately, made my insides go crazy. "Next time then." He said.

I nodded and tried to return his smile. "Yeah, next time..."