Studying

Draco and I go down to breakfast together and on the way, I suggest that we should meet up in the library to finish our homework before we have to help decorate the castle for Halloween next week. He agrees that it would be a good idea and we part ways to go to our separate house tables. Because it is Sunday morning there are not many people in the great hall this early in the morning.

Spotting Harry and Ginny about halfway down the Gryffindor table, I head over to join them.

'Hey 'Mione,' Ginny greets me.

'Good morning,' I reply as I sit down trying to look as cheerful as possible. Trying to hide the fact that my morning started 4 hours ago with me crying uncontrollably because of another stupid nightmare.

Harry gives a long sigh as he reaches for a piece of toast. 'I've got to finish that essay for Slughorn today, research and write notes on fire charms for Flitwick, learn how to transfigure a cat into a chair and I think there's something I have to for Sprout as well.'

'Well, it's your own fault. I told you to do some work on Friday night and then you insisted on taking yesterday afternoon after the match.'

'Yes and I deeply regret it now and I promise to never leave everything this late again. Will you help me 'Mione?'

'Well I already said I'd meet Draco in the library to study. I mean... you could join us if you want... I'm sure Draco wouldn't mind.'

Harry looks awkward for a moment but Ginny cuts in.

'Of course, that sounds great. We'd love to get to know Draco better, wouldn't we Harry,' she finishes giving her boyfriend a pointed look.

'Yeah, sure.'

'Great. And yes Harry I will help you with your homework.'

He gives me a grateful smile in return.

***

When Draco and go down to the library we find Ginny and Harry already sitting next to each other at one of the desks.

'Hey Hermione, hey Draco,' Ginny says cheerfully.

Draco and Harry simply nod stiffly at each other. Draco pauses awkwardly but I give him a nudge and he slides onto the bench opposite them.

Harry is sitting with his quill poised over a blank piece of parchment, the ink dangerously close to marking the page. Ginny is half-heartedly flipping through a large volume on potion ingredients.

'All right,' I announce sitting down, immediately taking control, 'First make a list of all the things you have to do in order of when they are due.'

There is a collective groan from the three people sitting around me but Harry and Ginny pick up their quills and start writing and list. I look at Draco who hasn't even pulled out any of his books yet.

'What? Do I have to do that too?'

'Well if you want me to help you at all, I need a list so we all know how much we have to do before lunch.'

'But you already promised you work on the potions essay with me.'

'Yes and this is how I work so here's a piece of parchment, write me a list.'

***

Several hours, and only a few awkward moments later, I have finished all of my homework and I am helping Harry to write the conclusion of his potions essay.

'Just sum it up by saying that powdered dragon fang has a stimulating effect when added to most potions though it must be used sparingly or there may be potentially explosive consequences,' I tell him closing the large book we had been using to write the essay and adding it to the now very tall pile of books we had used to complete our homework. 'Then add a few sentences summarising your other main points and finish by rephrasing your first sentence.'

'Thanks Hermione. You're amazing you know.'

'Well, that's most of your stuff done. After lunch, I can help you with your transfiguration.'

'Well I'm hungry,' Draco says as he is stacking his books on top of one another. 'Is it lunch time yet.'

'Yeah it's almost 12:30, we better pack up,' Ginny stands up. 'Hermione, if the boys take our stuff up to the dorms can you help me put the books back.' She gives me a look that lets me know she wants to talk to me in private.'

'Oh yeah sure,' I turn to Draco a hand my books to him. 'Can you just leave these on the table in our common room.'

'Yeah of course.'

'Thanks. We'll meet you guys in the great hall okay?'

'Oh and Draco,' Ginny says over a large stack of books, 'come and sit at the Gryffindor table with us. Draco starts to stammer an excuse but Ginny cuts him off. 'If anyone makes a fuss I'll hex them.'

'Okay yeah, I guess I could.'

'Right we'll see you soon then.'

Once the boys have left Ginny and I begin sorting through the books.

'Thanks for including Draco. It means a lot to me. I'm glad I can be friends with all of you at the same time.'

'Well I mean he didn't talk much but I can see how much you like him and he hasn't been mean to any of us. I think it will take him a long time to break the habit of calling Harry, "Potter",' she replaces a book on one of the shelves and we keep walking. 'Oh come on Hermione,' she exclaims when I make a face. 'Let's face it, you like him.'

I just give her a low grunting noise as a reply.

'Oh my gosh yes! You should ask him out to Hogsmeade.'

'No! He probably doesn't even like me, not in that way.  We're just friends and it should probably stay like that.'

'But do you want it to stay like that?'

'Maybe not but it's better than everything just becoming awkward and not being able to talk to him again.'

'He so likes you though.'

'Well I'm going to wait until I have definitive evidence until I do anything,' I tell her but inside butterflies have begun to invade my stomach.  

***

When we arrive in the great hall we find Harry and Draco sitting in awkward silence, opposite each other at the Gryffindor table. All throughout lunch, I am conscious of every time I look at Draco, every time he speaks to me. It is so hard, trying not to make it obvious, when all I want to do is stare into his beautiful grey eyes, listen to nothing but his soft, understanding voice and pretend no one else is there.