Behind the Podium

I froze.

He didn't look anything like the last time I'd seen him. His hair was groomed and his clothes were clean, not to mention there was no blood splatter, which makes quite the difference believe it or not.

When I snapped out of it I began trying to comb through the crowd to get away, but people had filled in the space behind me.

As I was pushing through and grunting quiet apologise under my breath, I heard something boom from the speakers.

"I would like to bring up the person who inspired me to donate to this fine institution," and I held my breath, hoping he wouldn't say, "Ms. Bowen Tarpi."

I felt my vision blur and I had to grab onto a random person to keep from falling over.

"Bowen, would you come up here please?"

I didn't know what to do, I was mentally planning my escape through the crowd when I saw two large men begin to make their way over to me.

"Let me help you miss." One of the men said, taking me by the arm and leading me towards the stage. The grip wasn't rough by any means, but it was strong enough to carry a message, I wasn't going anywhere.

He let me go at the foot of the stairs but they stood right behind me so I couldn't run.

The steps of the roll-away stage creaked under my feet, warning me away. But I kept going, my heart thudding in my ears.

He was waiting on the stage with a bunch of other pristine looking men, smiling warmly at me with an arm outstretched.

I walked towards him and he grabbed me into tight side hug like we were old pals.

"She really knows how to dress to impress doesn't she?" He joked with the audience.

There was a low murmur of laughter and I found myself smiling nervously in response.

"Anyway I just thought I'd bring her up here to show you what truly inspired me to have this beautiful," he ran his hand down my back and hooked an arm around my waist, "building created. Not to mention who Inspired the name."

He gestured an arm over to the plaque that was newly adorned to the side of the building.

ELIZABETH BOWEN GREENHOUSE

I didn't think it was possible, but my heart sped up even more, so fast that I felt like I could barely breathe.

"Don't you like it?" He asked me.

I turned back to him, his face was only inches from mine.

Without even thinking about it I nodded, trying to keep myself from bolting. Something told me there wasn't anywhere I could run.

He turned to the audience and laughed, "Such a special girl, give her a hand."

There was a light applause and he patted me on the back and leaned in really close, "Don't go anywhere."

And with that, he let me go and I was ushered off the stage.

One of the men, who were still waiting at the bottom of the stairs, took me by the arm again and lead me behind the stage.

I paced back there, my stomach twisting. The men lingered nearby, making sure I couldn't go anywhere.

"Ms. Tarpi?" A soft voice asked.

I spun around quickly and the man jumped back and chuckled nervously, "Sorry, didn't mean to spook 'ya."

"It's okay I said, keeping a safe distance away from him.

He reached out a hand to shake, which only prompted me to take another step back.

Confusion etched his face, wonder how on earth he'd managed to offend me so much, "Oh I'm from channel 7 news, I was just going to say if you ever need anything or want to talk, I'm available."

He pulled out a card and leaned awkwardly over to hand me the card but not take another step towards me, "I'm Ivan."

I took the card from his hand and shoved it into my bra.

"Nice meeting you Ivan." I tried to be friendly.

He began taking large, awkward steps away from me, "So yeah, if you ever want to talk, call or email or come down to the station, whatever," he shrugged, "It was nice to meet you, don't forget to call or, you know, bye." And with that, he took off.

I disregarded the weirdo and went back to my original worries. I needed to warn Peter, but he didn't have a phone, and I couldn't lead them to him. That is if they don't already have him.

I turned to the plaque that so proudly displayed not only my first name but my middle name, Elizabeth.

All I wanted to know, was how he found out what my middle name was.