Solutions

The fourth day ensued after the third and it was to the same boring, unenthusiastic, and unspontaneous routine as the days before. Baekhyun woke him up with a formal attitude, a ghostly touch, and a monotone voice. Chanyeol hated it at that point.

When Baekhyun touched his shoulder to gently shake him, Chanyeol grabbed him by the wrist. He turned on his back and stared up Baekhyun, who didn't so much as flinch or look like he was caught off guard. And even as Chanyeol looked at him with eyes that secretly challenged Baekhyun to do something radical—or even crack a gay joke—Baekhyun didn't respond.

Instead, Baekhyun pulled away in a forceful, yet graceful manner. "Good morning."

When Chanyeol continued to frown up at him, Baekhyun gave him a slight nod and a sad attempt to turn the corners of his mouth into a small smile. "Breakfast's ready."

In the afternoon, Kyungsoo had gone off to the beach while Sehun followed in tow with a bucket and tiny shovel for their occasional sandcastle building break. That left Chanyeol alone in the eerie house. Before Baekhyun came along, it was a nice feeling to be alone at the house while hearing the ocean not too far away, but right then, it was disturbing to him knowing that he had a ghost in the there.

Sighing, Chanyeol hesitantly walked to Baekhyun's room. He knew that Baekhyun was there because of the way he had been retreating there after all his duties were done. It wasn't until Chanyeol had reached Baekhyun's open doorway and knocked on the frame that he realized he didn't have any excuse for being there.

He saw Baekhyun sitting at his desk, turning his head slightly towards the door to see who was there. "Hi..."

"Hey," Chanyeol replied awkwardly. He stood at the doorway—not saying anything—for a few seconds before Baekhyun pursed his lips and turned back around.

Sensing that he was appearing out of character, Chanyeol ran a hand through his hair and entered the room. He looked to his right and his eyes were immediately caught on to the bag that he had given to Baekhyun—though indirectly through Sehun. It didn't look touched. In fact, it looked like it was just placed there and never even bothered with.

Then Chanyeol's eyes darted on Baekhyun's windowsill where he kept his books. In the times that he had looked or stepped inside Baekhyun's room, those book were disorganized in fashion—some were standing while other books laid flat on their sides. Now, every book stood side by side each other, making Chanyeol irked.

Setting a hand on the corner of Baekhyun's desk, Chanyeol stood behind him as he leaned over. "I wanted to ask you if you wanted anything to eat—as like a snack or something."

"No, thank you," Baekhyun replied.

Though Chanyeol couldn't see anything, but the top and back of Baekhyun's head, he knew that the guy's face remained as static as it had been. When Baekhyun continued to feel Chanyeol's presence behind him, he spoke up again. "Is there anything else you need?"

"No..." Chanyeol didn't know what to do at the moment. He looked down and saw that Baekhyun's hand had stopped doing what it was that he was doing previous to his entry. Slowly, Chanyeol's eyes glazed over the paper in front of Baekhyun.

"What're you doing?" Chanyeol asked out of curiosity.

"Nothing," Baekhyun mumbled.

Chanyeol shook his head at the answer even though he knew that Baekhyun couldn't see. "Those look like equations."

Baekhyun gave a small shrug, keeping eyes down on the paper. "Simple exercises with a few numbers that I pulled out of my head." Mindlessly, Baekhyun flipped his paper over to stop Chanyeol's eyes from looking at it, but forgot that he had done other work on the other side.