TWENTY-FIVE | 3/17/16

TWENTY-FIVE |  3/17/16

"I CAN'T BELIEVE you did that," Harrison stresses, running his fingers through his disheveled hair, "It's been two weeks, and I still can't believe you went up to my family and straight up told them off."

"Calm down, Harrison," I say, rolling my eyes.

"You're absolutely crazy, Arden."

"Absolutely crazy in love with you," I lightly throw back, hoping he'll understand that I did this for him because I care about him way too much.

His blue eyes soften up as he takes in my words. Harrison wraps his arms around me, resting his chin on my head and immediately relaxing. It still amazes me how something as simple as a hug can make anyone feel better, especially receiving one from the people you love. The fact that my love for Harrison can do this.

"I'm just scared," he whispers, moving his head to press his lips against my ear, "They asked me to come over for dinner tonight -- our last night here, and I don't know if I can do it."

I lean back and cradle his face with both my hands, feeling his arms slightly loosen up behind me, "You got this, okay? Hell, you don't owe them anything, and you don't have to go at all. Baby, it's all up to you."

"You're still gonna come with me?" Harrison unsurely asks, as if he's scared that I'm not going to be there and support him, or that he's making the wrong choice of going all together.

"Who do you think I am?" I ask with a smile on my face, "I'm fucking Arden Banks! Of course I'm coming with you."

He leans in and presses a sweet kiss against my lips, running his fingers down my spine. My hands move from his cheeks and to the nape of his neck, lightly tugging on his hair. I can feel Harrison grin, and he soon deepens the kiss until I'm almost gasping for air.

Once we pull away, Harrison has that familiar cheesy smile on his face, "Hey, can I be the one to say that I'm fucking Arden Banks?"

I pause, barely comprehending his words before hitting him on the chest, "I-- I didn't mean it like that, you pervert!"

Harrison lets out a loud before placing a kiss on my forehead, "I know, I know. I just like messing with you."

With these moments in mind, I know that everything will fall into place.

•••

HARRISON'S FIRST IDEA of showing that he is not under his family's control is to dress in his normal style. Usually, the Gage family is dressed top-notch for these kinds of events, no matter how unimportant it is. Their fancy attire basically screams that they're much more wealthy and well-mannered than anyone, or so Harrison says.

He wears a pair of ripped jeans and a frayed band t-shirt, throwing a plaid shirt over it. His black hair is as messy as ever, blue eyes are sharp and playful, and there's a wicked smirk on his face. At first glance, nobody would suspect that he's a troubled person with family issues. They'd just think of him like I first did -- reckless with no care in the world.

Man, I was wrong. A person has so much depth if it's unraveled.

Anyway, because Harrison decided to dress all rugged, he thought it'll also be a good idea for me to do the same thing. Humoring him, I wear a black shirt with a skull on it and throw a knitted cardigan over it. I pull on a pair of shorts, thankful that weather is actually nice today. My boyfriend takes one good look at me and smirks, letting himself play with the hem of his shirt.

That's only step one.

Now, it's whether or not we can deal with the ignorance of Harrison's family.

Finally, ten minutes after we were supposed to be there, Harrison and I wait at the front entrance, exchanging funny faces with each other to calm our racing nerves. Just as I stick my tongue out at my boyfriend, the front door opens, and I awkwardly turn to face Mr. Gage. His icy gaze definitely shows that he's not amused at all as he takes a step back and opens the door wider.

"Harrison," he coolly regards, which throws me off completely. Even after my coming here two weeks ago, they still act all high and mighty, "Arden."

"Hello, Mr. Gage," I reply just as condescending, looking at Harrison from the corner of my eye. His jaw is clenched, but I squeeze his hand to make sure he doesn't do anything too stupid, "It's a lovely evening, isn't it? I don't really want to ruin it with your attitude."

Mr. Gage clears his throat and narrows his blue eyes, "Come join us in the dining room. We have a lot to discuss."

The Gage family is already sitting around the table, looking as dapper as ever. They almost look fake, and that makes me feel uncomfortable in the slightest way. Did they not change at all after what I had to say to them? I mean, Harrison and I were invited here, but shouldn't the change begin with themselves?

I cautiously sit down with Harrison to my left.

"So?" I prompt, not enjoying all their eyes on us, as if we are prey, and they are predators, "Anything you'd like to discuss?"

"We do not regret reprimanding Harrison for all the times he has gotten into trouble," Mrs. Gage finally speaks up, "but I do apologize for taking it this far. You are my son, and I am sorry for making you feel like a burden."

Harrison runs his fingers through his hair, a shudder passing through his body, "Why would you do it in the first place?"

"You were acting like a complete imbecile--"

"--For you!" Harrison burst out, catching me by surprise, before lowering his voice, "I did this for you. For the longest time, I have been seeking for your approval. I tried my hardest to stay on my best behavior and follow your rules and do everything you fucking say. Then, I just got tired of all this because none of what I did mattered! You two wouldn't give me your time of the day, so I tried something else."

With each word, his voice gradually gets louder and louder until he's almost shouting in frustration of all these years. However, there's still more left to say.

"I did bad things, I hung out with bad people, I got myself arrested. I did do it for your attention," he says, throwing Lucas a nasty glare from the corner of his, not forgetting the reason for his betrayal, "but it doesn't matter. None of it matters. I'm still lost, I'm still frustrated, I'm still on the other side of the table."

I open my mouth to add something, but to my surprise, I notice Mrs. Gage's eyes welling with tears. I close my mouth, unsure of what to do at this point.

"Mom-- don't cry," Harrison says in a broken voice, "I didn't mean to make you cry."

"I'm so sorry," she weeps, "I'm so sorry."

From that point on, things start to slowly mend together.

_________________________

i think one more chapter and an epilogue. Hot damn.

So, yeah. Things are working out.

OMG, I AM SO SORRY FOR UPDATING ON A FRIDAY. I FELL ASLEEP LAST NIGHT.

•vote•comment•follow•

--thyselves