Chapter-14

I got into the car next to Adrian.

"You knew." He said.

"I had my doubts." I replied, still pissed off.

"You did betray him too, you gave me his name." Adrian said. Playing his stupid mind games again.

"Then I should probably make up for it right? Help him out." I snapped.

Adrian's lips tightened into a thin line.

I saw the Abandonato family crest in his room, the hawk and the rose, when I went to his house. I recognized it from the newspapers. It was the reason I gave up his name. There was nothing Adrian could do to hurt him. It was a risk but I was just a girl kidnapped by the Mafia. I took it and I was right. Dylan was in the Mafia.

I needed to get my mind off it. I was only ruining my mood.

"Give me the clue." I said.

Without taking his eyes off the road, he reached inside his jacket pocket and pulled out the printout.

1993-Aug-21 00:00 13 00 35.11RA -00 22 35.7DEC

"The first few numbers are dates followed by a time." He said.

"Never would have figured that out." I muttered.

"Well, with your thinking capacity..."

"Shut up, Adrian. Just shut up." I growled in a ladylike manner.

Adrian probably got the hint and stopped talking.

"I've asked Damien and Antonio to get you some clothes." He said.

"Thanks," I replied distractedly. "What happened on 21st August 1993?"

"I thought you would have guessed." He said quoting my words.

"I don't know, but today will be your date of death if you don't answer." I said.

Adrian laughed humorlessly. "Try me."

I shrugged. "Or don't. Figure out this shit yourself." I said, handing the paper back to him.

I don't think that's how you were supposed to talk to Mafia Bosses. But fuck it. The guy I had known for eight years was a fucking Mafia Boss. I knew nothing.

"Dylan is not a Mafia Boss." Adrian said suddenly.

How did he know?

"I know because your questions are written on your face. Dylan Di Angelo is Theresa Di Angelo's son. She married the Abandonato Boss and cheated on him. Nevertheless, he's the heir to the Empire because Abandonato can't produce an heir."

"Proof that nothing good ever comes out of cheating. So he hasn't done anything... Bad...yet?"

Adrian didn't answer, but I got one all the same.

"You're taking this awfully well. Normal people would be kicking or screaming, way to panicked to actually think." He said.

"I am not normal." I said smugly.

Adrian laughed under his breath, "You could say that."

"The date."

"It's my birthday." Adrian said. "The anniversary of the day I was born." He clarified.

"I may not have an IQ of 160 but I know what a birthday is."

"What else did you find out?" He asked, a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth.

"Mostly pictures in which you were smiling like a sociopath. How many human sacrifices did you make to the Puberty God to fix your face? And there was this really pretty woman smiling beside you. Your mother?"