Chapter Twenty Two: Home

I woke by Carter's sweet voice, he was softly calling my name. "Percyla...Percyla, sweetheart, wake up. It's time to wake now, Percyla...Percyla" Said he, I opened my eyes and discovered that we were no longer in the wheat field. I slowly sat up and observed that I laid on a yellow, floral couch and I was in a room painted white with Chinese fans and hollowed out, painted eggs. There were old, bubbled, black and white photos of people from the 1800's, white doilies layed limply on a wooden table that was covered in a red tablecloth.

It smelled of soap and the perfume of flowers. I rubbed my eyes and turned towards Carter, who was shirtless, but wore blue and white stripped trousers. His hand gently rubbed my cheek, and he sighed happily, that's when the door to the room opened and a frail-looking old woman walked inside, carrying a tray of food. Her hair was a long, browning grey and her eyes were a dulled green, her skin was wrinkling and her back showed just a hint of a hunch. Her long, pointed fingernails were painted a bright pink and she wore bright pink lipstick to match, she smelled of caramel and she had the most amiable smile I had ever seen, coupled with white teeth.

"Well, good morning little miss! I didn't think you would wake up anytime soon, seeing as you slept whilst Carter carried you up here! Anyways, my name is Mary, but you can call me Auntie." Auntie's smile made me smile, Auntie handed the tray to Carter, who set it down on the little wooden table.

"Good morning to you too. I'm Percyla, Percyla Quin" Said I, sticking out my hand, Auntie giggled, bypassed my hand and hugged me; I smiled as I smelt the old woman's hairspray. It reminded me of my grandmother, who only passed away a few months ago. She pulled away from me and looked down at my outfit, I then noticed that I was no longer in my wedding dress, I was in a 'Doctor Who' t-shirt that looked like a dress on me, and soft, grey shorts that came down to my knees.

"Oh, yes, that dress you were in was dirty, but I didn't know if it was machine washable or not so I hung it up over there and Carter gave you some of his old clothes" said Auntie, pointing over to my dirtied wedding dress hanging on a hook, behind the door. I thanked her and she looked to Carter with a smile "you didn't lie" she said softly, smiling at Carter, Carter smiled and she said she would be doing the laundry if we needed her, she walked out and closed the door behind her.

"What was that about?" I asked Carter with a smile, Carter smiled and turned away.

"I just...told her about you" Said he, taking up the tray again and setting it on his lap, he held large, purple grapes still on a small vine "open" said he, and he popped the grape in my mouth, finishing that and feeding me the rest of my breakfast. After breakfast was finished, I smiled over to him.

"So, you carried me...all the way here?" I asked, Carter smiled.

"You shivered" Said he "and I knew my aunt was awake, I also knew her home was warm and you would get care" he finished.

"Oh, Carter" I whispered, he gulped and we held hands, I then brought his muscular hand up to my lips and kissed it several times "Carter...what are we?" I asked, Carter looked up at me with a shocked expression, his cheeks were a bit pink.

"Wh-what do you mean?" Asked he, surprise still on his face.

"I mean, like, are we...are we dating?" I asked nervously "or...do you just want to be friends?" I said quickly, looking nervously up at him, Carter smiled to me and kissed my cheek, then, he leaned in even farther and his soft lips touched mine. I closed my eyes, as did Carter, and at first, I could barely feel his lips, he just brushed me with them at first. He became more confident when I got closer to him and he hesitantly put his hands on my waist, still, gently kissing me.

Now, his left hand gently held the back of my head, not pushing me, just lying there. I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to me and pushing our heads together more. Carter's left hand went back to my waist, and then he lifted me off of the yellow, floral couch, and onto his lap. Our lips never disconnected and my heart sprang with joy, finally, finally I could say I was truly content. After around ten to twenty more minutes of snogging, our lips slowly broke apart and we both gulped down air, to the point where I began to hiccup.

Carter chuckled and kissed my forehead, that's when we heard a snicker come from the door. We both turned to find a little pair of green eyes staring back at us. "Annabella" Carter said in a playful tone, the door opened to reveal a little black haired girl with sparkling eyes of jade, she wore a pink dress and shiny, black shoes. "Percyla, this is Annabella, my niece" said Carter, motioning to the little girl, Carter had an older sister, Amelia, who had two children, Annabella and Blake. Annabella was ten and Blake was seven.

I waved to the little girl "hello" I said with a smile, Annabella smiled back and walked around the couch, finding that her uncle was holding me.

"Are you going to be my aunt?" Annabella asked with a grin, I smiled.

"That's up to your uncle" I said softly, glancing over to Carter, Carter smiled. Annabella looked seriously to Carter.

"I like her. I want her to be my aunt. By the looks of it, you like her too, marry her soon." Annabella said, I smiled and thanked her, Annabella gave a sweet smile to me "I'd also like a cousin!" She called, walking out of the room, I giggled and Carter smiled.

"It's actually up to you whether we're married or not" Said Carter, his eyes shinned in the morning sunlight.

"Well, you have to pick the ring, the time and the place to propose" I stood and leaned down to him "I'm just the one that says 'yes'" I whispered, kissing his cheek, smiling, and walking to the bathroom.

That day, Auntie took Blake, Annabella, Carter and I to a strawberry patch, where we picked six bucketful's of strawberries. But by the time we reached Auntie's house we only had four buckets filled with strawberries, for, Carter, Annabella, Blake and I snacked on them on the way home. That evening Auntie made strawberry ice cream and chocolate pie, we finished these relatively quickly, and after dinner Carter and I sat on Auntie's couch, watching the television program 'Doctor Who'. I wrapped my left arm around Carter and laid my head upon one of his pecks whilst he had one arm wrapped around my shoulders and the other held my right hand. I accidentally shivered and Carter placed a blanket over me, pulling me closer to him and kissing my head.

"Carter" I whispered when the clock chimed ten thirty and the children were asleep. Carter looked down to me with an attentive expression. "Carter do you ever want to go back to my house and look over the rest of the basement?" I asked, looking up to him with half open lids. Carter sighed.

"I don't know, Percyla, I fear that we may be separated again, but this time, permanently, and, Percyla, I don't want to lose you." Said he, kissing my cheek.

"I don't want to lose you either" Said I, cuddling further into his arms. Carter smiled and began running his fingers through my hair.

"Come on, it's passed your bedtime" Said he, plucking me from the couch and carrying me to his bedroom, which, I couldn't see very well in the dark. That night, I continuously had dreams of falling back into the portal and losing Carter for good. I woke up, trembling and crying and Carter would hold me to him and assure me that we were never going back, that that was never going to happen again. He swore it, he swore it would never happen again. Then we would lay back down, Carter's arms around me, and my face buried into his shoulder, and as soon as he let go of me, the nightmares would resume.