Chapter 3

I stumbled through the crowded pub, though I wasn't drunk, as my eyes scanned for my friends. Hell, I'd left her in the middle of the floor, doing God knows what. Though I just met him, I was really beginning to hate Niall. With him, it just came so easy to me. 

I found her by the bar, talking to a guy with wild hair and the lankiest composure I'd ever seen.

"Nicole!" I said, and she whipped around, her crystal blue eyes widening as she recognized me.

"Bleu! Where have you been?" She screeched, and my head pounded.

"I'll tell you later. Can we just get out. I want to go home." I said.

She said nothing.

"Nicole?" I asked, staring into her eyes...or at least trying to. She was zoned out, not even listening to me, but still gripping my biceps.

"Nicole!" I shouted, and she snapped back to reality.

"Oh! Yeah! Sorry, yeah we can go home. Let me get a taxi." She said, and pulled away to stumble away toward the exit. 

I shook my head, shooting the sketchy guy a glance behind me. He grinned and waved, and my head snapped forward as I picked up the pace a little. Nicole was moving fast, weaving between hot bodies, and I had to struggle to get through. I was getting uncomfortable, not really wanting anyone to touch me, which was really not going to happen. My night was made even worse when I scanned the room, and locked on a pair of oceanic eyes. 

I gasped as I caught his expression; all dark eyes and furrowed brow. His jaw was set tight, his big arms were stretched across his massive chest, and a frown was etched upon his lowered head. His eyes were following me, and it was when I ran into someone that I tore my gaze away from Niall, and I apologized. "

I'm so sorry..." I mumbled, and took off through the crowd, shoving people and not really caring about their opinions. 

I made it outside just in time to see Nicole stumbling toward a white car parked on the curb with a taxi sign on it. I ran over to her and slid in after her, and she giggled when she saw me.

"1619, Wilder Road." I said, and the cab nodded before pulling away from the curb. I turned my head and found Nicole's big eyes peering straight at me, a sloppy grin plastered to her face. I jumped backward, and Nicole giggled again.

"You're so jumpy. Sorry I scared you." She laughed, and I gave a weak smile.

"It's okay. Sorry." I said, tucking a strand of my brown hair behind my ear.

"My fault. Man, that was a good night." She said, hiccuping and slumping in the seat. I shook my head at her, peering out the window at the passing lights. 

It wasn't a very long time before we finally got home, and I hauled a half-asleep Nicole out of the cab and paid the driver. I unlocked the door, pulled her in, and slammed it shut. I bolted it and then clicked the second lock into place before watching Nicole as she ran into the bathroom. I followed to find her slumped over the toilet, puking her guts up.

"This is why you don't drink too much." I said, crouching down and pulling her hair back. I didn't even try to console her because first, it was her fault, and two, why would I console someone puking into my toilet? 

"I am never drinking again. Ever." She said, pulling away and resting her head against my legs. I smiled down at her, amused.

"Yes you are, don't lie to yourself. C'mon, I'll get you some water." I said, helping her to her feet. She opened her tired eyes slowly, the pretty green rimmed in red. I felt sorry for her as tears still leaked out of them and she gave me a half-smile. 

I led her to the bedroom, wobbling on my heels I hadn't taken off yet. I laid her down, and she was mumbling things I couldn't understand. I slid off her shoes and set them down before reaching for the trashcan and setting it beside the bed. Her eyes had fluttered shut again, though her mouth was still moving. I shook my head, my heels clacking on the floor as I walked into the kitchen. I grabbed a glass, trying to forget everything that happened tonight. 

It was really bizarre for that to happen. With Niall...I just wanted to go to a fight and have fun, but he was really the archetype of distraction. He started out at the fight, and when he locked eyes with me, I couldn't help but be attracted. Apparently so was he, and he wasn't afraid to hide it. But I can't like him. I won't. All he is to me is trouble. Trouble I don't want or need. Granted I was thankful for him to have saved me, but he didn't need to be involved in my life. I don't want him. 

And I was lying to myself. He was beautiful. Beautiful and dangerous and amazing and there wasn't anything physical that I didn't want about him. I was attracted, in the worst way possible. And his personality...he was just so tough. That was something I couldn't wrap my head around, so I pushed it to the back of my mind and walked back to the bedroom. Nicole was knocked out, which I was grateful for because I didn't want her to be throwing up and not getting rest that she needed. I set the water down and gathered clothes and my phone charge before walking to the bathroom to take off my makeup. I dressed in there and threw my hair up into a ponytail before going to the living room and setting up my bed on the couch. 

I was laid out and comfortable, the fan blowing on my hot skin, when my phone lit up like a Christmas tree. I jumped before patting around for it, and when I found it my heart sunk. Then it soared and bounced around inside my chest. Because I knew who it was, I just wasn't sure how to feel about it. 

I opened it, my eyes skimming over the words.

'Glad you got home safe, Babe. Wouldn't want to have to save my damsel in distress again(; Niall X.'

it read. I stared at it for a long, long time before glancing at my locked windows, then discarding the thought. He couldn't have followed me. He couldn't have.