Chapter 5

After a long, long talk with Nicole and her sobering up, she borrowed some yoga pants and a tank top and left me to prepare myself. Needless to say, I wasn't very thrilled. But she talked me into it, telling me to just get it over with.

"What's the worst thing about him?" Nicole asked finally, sitting cross-legged on my bed with me and sipping her tea. My eyes narrowed, and my words came out angry.

"He's that-that guy. The one I'd be stupid to trust. He's so cocky, like he knows everything about anyone he meets, and then challenges them with every words. And you know me, he gets under my skin." I said, picking at a loose thread on the afghan.

"Yeah, but I also know that the only things you've heard about him are things other people have told you. Give him a chance." She said, and I shut up after that.

So here I stood, hair wet and falling around my face and shoulders as I looked through my closet for something to wear. I figured that it would be best to look nice, and pulled out my best jeans and a white button down that tied in the front. I don't wear dresses...or skirts. I never have, and it doesn't sound appealing to go out with a boy I don't like in something that leaves me vulnerable when I know he can't keep his hands to himself.

It was six by the time I was in the bathroom, blow drying my hair and left it in my natural waves. I carefully applied eyeliner to the bottom of my eye and then mascara, satisfied and going back into my room to pull on my clothes. It was ten minutes till seven when I stood in the kitchen, bobbing my head to Olly Murs and trying to push my anxiety back about the date. As much as I didn't want to look forward to this date, there was something inside of me that wanted me to be excited. I couldn't stop asking myself the question,

"Why would he want you?"

I pulled on my left boot when I heard a banging knock on the door, and I sighed before pulling on the second. I mentally shook myself, walking slowly to the door. I pulled it open to find Niall in a grey cardigan, black jeans, and white supras. The top buttons of his shirt were undone, exposing smooth-looking, pale skin to me, and before I said anything, I had to pull my eyes back to his. He was smirking already, and I was itching to slap it off his face.

He reached a large hand out to me and I grabbed my keys off the table and slid them into my pocket.

"Hello, Bleu." He said as I slid my small hand into his, stepping onto the porch.

"Hi." I said, shutting the door.

Unprepared, I was left breathless when he hauled me into his rock hard body. My hands splayed out on his chest as I took a sharp breath, eyes snapping up into his blue ones. I ignored the smirk this time as he twirled a piece of my hair in his free hand.

"You look sexy." He said, and though I was looking up at him, he was completely ignoring my gaze.

"Thank you." I said in a small voice, captivated by the way the porch light hit his features, shadows dipping into the curve of his nose, lips, eyes... it was difficult to believe he was real in that moment. Except for the iron grip on my waist, of course.

He pulled his body away from me, gripping my hand again and walking me down the steps and to his Range Rover parked near the road.

"So, how was the rest of your day without me, babe?" He asked, opening the passenger door for me. I could hardly appreciate the chivalry when he was looking so smug to have ma climbing into his car. I dropped his hand immediately, climbing up into the seat and plopping down. He barked out a laugh before slamming my door shut and rounding the car to get in the driver's seat.

"It was fine." I said once he'd gotten in and put on his seat belt.

"Good. Are you hungry?" He asked, checking over his shoulder before pulling away from the curb and rolling down the road.

"Would it really matter if I was?" I asked, glaring at him. He shrugged without looking at me,

"Nah." He said. I rolled my eyes, looking at the trees and houses flying by. "Because I already made reservations. I hope you like seafood." He said, poking a button on his radio and turning the volume way down.

"Sure." I said, and pulled my phone out of my pocket.

We arrived at the restaurant shortly, and I gasped outwardly when I saw where he'd taken me.

"Niall...this is the most expensive place in town." I said, shaking my head and looking at him.

"And? C'mon." He said, unbuckling himself and opening his door.

"No, I'm not going in there." I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Bleu, don't make me drag you in there myself. I'll do it." He said, cutting eyes at me before getting out of the car and shutting his door.

I swallowed, watching him walk around the car to my side, and decided it was probably best to just unbuckle myself. He opened the door, looking me over with a simpered expression when he saw that I'd obeyed. He took my head, helping me as I slid out of the car and landed smoothly on my feet.

He locked the car behind us as he led me to the door, pulling it open and letting me walk in before him. I dropped his hand, standing in the crowded lobby, waiting for Niall. I heard him chuckle from behind me, resting a hand low on my waist and lightly guiding me through the crowd. We made it to the podium where a young hostess was waiting, talking to her colleague. Niall cleared his throat, and her eyes widened when she saw him, her mouth forming a small 'o'.

"U-Um hi. Name?" She asked, though I was almost positive that she surely did not need his name.

"Niall Horan." He said gruffly, surprising me.

Surely he wouldn't act like this to a pretty girl. I snuck a glance at his face behind me, and was surprised to find him not paying any attention to her...or anyone for that matter.

"Um, yeah, right here. Come with me." She said, turning around and leading the way to a table on the right. Niall wasn't even looking at me, his eyes skimming the restaurant, darkening into a cobalt. I broke away from him when the hostess seated us. Niall seemed to snap out of his revere, sitting down and sliding closer to the table.

"Have a nice meal." The girl said, and I gave her a small 'thank you' before she left.

I stared at Niall, crossing my legs under the table. "What was that all about?" I asked, staring at him. He returned the long gaze, sipping the water already in front of him.

"Nothing you need to worry about." He said after he'd swallowed, leaning back in his chair slightly. I tilted my chin slightly up, then broke my gaze, annoyed with how he was playing his dis-interest off.

"So, tell me about yourself." He said, leaning forward slightly and resting his forearms on the table. I turned my head back in his direction and sighed.

"What's to tell?" I asked, which brought another smirk to his lips. I was beginning to get really tired of his arrogant demeanor.

"Look, love, while I love the fact that you're stubborn, it's getting on my nerves that you're holding out on me." I scoffed at him, and his eyes immediately narrowed.

"While my stubbornness may be 'getting on your' nerves, the fact that you're a cocky prick is really irritating me." I said, and he let out a loud laugh.

"Ooh. Babe, look, you're not the first person that's told me that, so it really doesn't hurt my feelings. I would, however, like to get to know you. So if you could answer the question, it would be wonderful." He said. My face was hot, I could feel it, and I grounded my teeth together so hard that it hurt.

"Depends on what you want to know, really. Then I'll answer the question."

That smirk was back, and my urge to slap him was rekindled as well.