Chapter 6

"What do you do for a living? Do you work?" He asked, and I nodded.

"I work at a place called Art Savvy." He nodded.

"What's that?"

"It's basically...You're like an artist that gets rented out. You and a couple of other artists go to events, like a party or a fair and you paint faces, do balloon animals, tattoos, things like that. It's mostly on weekends, but it pays really well." I explained, and he smiled.

"So you're artsy?"

"Not really. I mean, I'm good, but it's not something I just spend all my time doing."

"So what do you enjoy?" He asked, and I blushed.

"I like to read. And cook. And party and have a good time."

"You didn't seem like you were having a good time at that party last night." He said, and it wasn't sly or mocking, just a statement. I sighed.

"Yeah, well, there was someone there that I was avoiding." I said, looking at the table cloth and running a finger over the top. It was so neat.

"Was it him?" He asked, his words bit off at the ends, but it wasn't directed at me. I looked up to meet his narrowed eyes.

"Yeah. It was." I said, and he held my gaze.

"What was it with him?" He asked, and I replied with a quick, "I don't want to talk about it-"

"Bleu." He warned, and I sighed.

"It's nothing..."

"It's obviously something if you won't talk about it." He said, and that was when our waiter came up beside us.

"Can I get you something to drink, miss?" The guy asked, and I looked up at him.

"Do you have tea?" I asked, and he nodded. "Yes. And for you, sir?" He asked, turning to Niall, who was still glaring at me.

"More water." He said, and the guy nodded before turning and walking away.

"All I can tell you is that he's got a rep, and it's only because I wasn't going to let him get away with being an insolent pig to me. It was in the middle of a heated...argument, and I called the cops." I said, avoiding his eyes. His voice had softened when he spoke again.

"Did he hit you?" There was no trace of sympathy, though, because it was Niall.

"Might as well have." I mumbled, and he let out a loud breath.

"I'll kill the bastard." He said, catching on.

"No, Niall, it didn't get that far. And you don't even know me. Don't try to defend me. I can take care of myself." I spat, and that was when he started to stare. His gaze was heavy and serious, and I was crumpling under it.

"Bleu, you are mine. Mine. I will always defend you. That ass can die, for all I care. You do not deserve that." He said, and I swallowed.

Our drinks came, and Niall wouldn't take his eyes off of me as I ordered my food, and simply said 'whatever she's having' when asked what he wanted to eat. The waiter left again, and he was still staring. Finally I put down my drink and sighed deeply, running a hand through my hair. "Can I help you, Niall?"

"I want to know more. The simple things about you. Favorite color? Movie? Flower?" He asked, sitting quite casually in his chair. I leaned forward and rested my arms on the table.

"I expected you to keep pushing." I said in a small voice, and he shook his head without missing a beat.

"Don't you even start with me, Bleu." His tone was all ice. I shook my head mentally, blinked at least four times, and then answered.