Chapter 8

We were back at my flat, getting ready for tonight. I'd locked myself in the bathroom after turning on my stereo and blaring music, not wanting to hear anything Nicole had to say to me. Something about 'giving Niall a fair chance' or that 'maybe Liam was right' because all of what he said was bullshit.

It didn't justify Niall's actions, and honestly I don't think anything ever could. But I pushed all of that to the back of my mind, looked at myself in the mirror, took a deep breath, and sucked it up like I always have.

I swept the mascara over my lashes, finishing off my makeup before pulling the straps of my dress up and over my shoulders. The music from my stereo suddenly cut off, the door stopped vibrating, and a soft knock sounded through the wood. I sighed, turning around in the cramped space, and pulled the door open, faced with Nicole's tentative smile.

"Hey." She said softly, and I blew out a breath.

"Hey." Her eyes cast down as she spoke.

"Look, I'm sorry if I said something to hurt you before. Honestly, you've never been one to lie, even if you are dramatic, so if Niall did something to you and you don't like him, then I'm not going to try and stick up for him. But... just remember that you're beautiful, so any boy is going to be attracted to you. Don't let what Darren did to you get in the way." She said, at the end her eyes snapped up to mine, blazing with a sudden fierceness that it made me remember why she was my best friend in the first place.

She reached out her arms and pulled me into her chest, stroking my hair as I inhaled her sweet scent.

"Thanks, Nicole." I said, and it was muffled by her skin.

"It's no problem, babe, really. I'm here for you, promise." She said, and I pulled away. We smiled at each other, and she held out her pinky. I snagged it with mine, and we giggled like we were seven years old again.

We both finished getting ready when a horn honked from outside, signaling Liam's arrival. He volunteered to be the designated driver tonight, and neither me nor Nicole were going to protest that. The only thing I was worried about was them getting friendly and leaving me in the club. Alone.

When we got there, the party was in full swing at ten o'clock, bass thumping through the place and bright lights flashing colors that would make the rainbow hide in shame. Bodies swayed together to the music, eyes closing and swallowing any sanity you'd walk in there with. The breath whooshed out of me as I scanned the room, the humidity eating away at my skin, pressing my hair to my neck and back as I pushed through the crowd.

Nicole and Liam were behind me, her fingers clutching the fabric of my dress as I parted the crowd. We got to a particularly crowded section, and Liam, sensing my struggle, moved to the front, guiding me through by my shoulder. I caught a glimpse of his face in the roving lights, and it wasn't a wonder why people were parting like the red sea.

The music was intoxicating, ranging from sick beats to steady, slow rhythm's. Liam escorted us to the bar, standing behind Nicole and I as we ordered drinks. Nicole shot me a quite impressed look before leaning up to his ear, hand resting on his shoulder. His large one gripped her waist as she spoke to him, his mouth twitching. I couldn't hear what they were saying over the song, and it was difficult enough trying to order my drink.

By the fourth time the bartender yelled 'WHAT?', I was just plain tired of it so I climbed up on the risen platform of the bar and leaned in, screaming out my order. He grinned at me, nodding and turning to grab the alcohol to mix my drink, right in front of my eyes.

When I'd turned around, Nicole was leaning against the bar, looking flustered. She noticed me turned back around, and her eyebrows lifted into her bangs, jutting her thumb at Liam's back over her shoulder. I looked in his direction, noticing as he 'bro-hugged' a smiling man and withdrew before doing the same to another. A red-head leaned in to his ear, eyes flicking over to Nicole and I as a smirk touched his features. Liam let out a loud laugh, eyes closing before shaking his head. He leaned in to the red-heads ear, shouting what sounded like 'My...Nicole...and that's Bleu!'.