Chapter 17

Thirty minutes later, we were in an argument over me going home. “Let me take you to dinner, Bleu.” He said, eyes locked on the road.

“Niall, no. I look like a mess, and I want to go home.” I said, and he lifted his brow.

“Why?” He asked, challenging me for what seemed like the millionth time that night.

I rolled my eyes. “Because I want to sleep.”

“You can sleep at my house.” He winked, and I scoffed.

“No.”

“Didn’t stop you last night. Drooling all over my pillows.”

“Oh, don’t even start with me!” I grumbled, and he chuckled, though I found none of this funny. “Are you going to drop me off at home?” I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. His mouth twisted into a puckered expression as he thought about it. “Niall…” I whined, and he interrupted.

“When will I get to see you again?” He asked, and I shrugged.

“Soon, probably. I don’t have a job. Damn, I need a job.” I complained, then wished I hadn’t, because I knew Niall would have questions. 

“I thought you had a job.” He stated, and I sighed.

“Yeah, but that’s only on the weekends, and I was out Saturday and Sunday so that didn’t leave much time for work.” I said quietly, looking down. I was going over this for what seemed like the hundredth time. If I didn’t start bringing in the money, I knew I would start to fall behind on my rent.

“What’s wrong?” Niall asked. Dammit.

“Nothing.” I said, looking out the window.

“Bleu.” He said in a stern tone, and I sighed.

“I don’t want to talk about it, Niall.” I said, propping my chin on my fist and staring out the window. 

Then I felt something warm in my hand, and I looked over to see that Niall had entwined our fingers, his thumb stroking over my knuckles. I sighed, turning back to the window. I blinked a few times, watching the lights fly by. My mind wandered over everything that had happened in the past few days, then to the fact that I was in Niall’s car, after he’d jumped me in the club, beat up at least three people for me, then made me sleep with him at his house, and then go to work with him. I shook my head, my brow creasing. I felt it all slow down, and then my mind hung on one word. ‘Why?’

“We’ll be at your house in a few minutes.” Niall spoke, his voice gruff and low in the car.

“Thank you.” I murmured softly, turning toward him. He sighed, not looking at me, though I almost wished he would.

“Mm.” He grunted, his mouth set in a tight line. “Is anyone staying with you?” He asked, and I shook my head ‘no’.

“Um, no. No one really ever does.” I was a bit taken off guard with the question.

“What about Liam’s girl?” Niall asked. His brow was furrowed and the muscles in his shoulders were tensing up.

“Nicole, that’s her name. And no, she lives on her own, you know, like me, since we’re big girls.” I stated, glaring at the side of his head. He completely ignored my sass, flipping his indicator before we turned.

“I want someone to stay with you.”

“Why?” I complained rather loudly, coming off as angry, I’m sure.

“Because Darren made it clear he’d do anything to get to you, and I’m pretty sure that includes breaking and entering into your home.”

“And? Do you not think I can’t call the cops?”

“I’d rather not have to make sure you can. Look, Bleu, if he touches you I’ll kill him.” He stated, looking at for the first time on the drive. His eyes were murky, yet electrifying and they made every nerve in my body tingle.

“I don’t know why you insist that I have someone with me.” I whispered quietly, crumbling under his gaze. He huffed out a breath, turning on my street. 

He pulled into my driveway, his headlights illuminating my garage door. His hand rested on the top of the steering wheel, but he didn’t look at me. Instead, his gaze was flicking around my house before it finally settled on the space before him. His jaw clenched, and I suddenly wanted to reach over and kiss it. But I didn’t, I couldn’t.

“Promise me that if worst comes to worst, you’ll call me first.” He slowly spoke, and I nodded, swallowing. He shifted into park, dropping my hand and turning to me. He grasped my face in his warm, rough hands, gently tugging me forward until his lips collided with my own. I clutched the fabric of his shirt that hung off of his stomach in my hands, holding on for dear life, afraid that this mere touch would drop me off the deep end. Then he pulled away, leaving me a bit embarrassed that I still sat leaning forward. He chuckled before opening his door and climbing out.

After I’d climbed out and fought off Niall’s grabby hands, I found myself climbing the steps up to my house with Niall trailing behind me. I pulled my keys out of my pocket and shoved it in the door, unlocking it and swinging it open. Before I could step over the threshold, Niall’s hands were on my hips, pulling my body back into him. I gasped, trying my best to get away from his grasp, knowing that he would be here a lot longer. He wanted something, and I had half the mind to give it to him. 

“Niall!” I laughed, trying to pry his hands away. I pulled myself into the house by the door jamb, and he stepped inside, kicking the door shut with his foot. He spun me around, and I caught a glimpse of his grin before he buried his face into my neck. I was giggling, trying to push him off, but he wasn’t allowing it.

“Mm, you smell like me.” His voice brushed against my skin, and I rolled my eyes, tilting my head a little to allow his lips to kiss every single part of my neck. His hands were splayed out on my back, holding my front to his own. I suddenly stopped struggling, falling into a cascade of warmth. His lips were touched to that spot, sucking lightly on the sensitive skin behind my ear, coaxing moans out of me. All traces of playfulness was lost and all I could feel was him. 

I gripped his shoulder to hold myself up, my legs starting to feel weak. Stars danced behind my closed eyes as his teeth reached out to nip at my flesh and he moaned, the vibrations driving me wild. I breathed out his name in a whisper, a sense of helpless washing over my body. His hands trailed down, until they were cupping my bum, and he squeezed lightly, a gasp falling from my parted lips.

“Jump, baby.” He said, and I obeyed, wrapping my legs around his waist. 

He turned and pushed me up against the door, his mouth hungrily pressing to mine. It was a hot, needy kiss, like he was a dying man and my lips were the only thing to save him. He tasted like mints and sugar, and it was so enjoyable I didn’t ever want him to pull away. My hands reached up, one of my hands tangling into the hair at the nape of his neck, the other cupping his face in my palm. He slammed me back even harder, groans and grunts escaping him. He squeezed my bum again, and I gasped onto his soft lips before he plunged his warm tongue into my mouth. 

My heart was beating faster than I ever thought it could have, an aching feeling filling me. I wanted him as close as possible, but I knew that now wasn’t the time, not right now.

“Niall.” I whispered, pulling away. His hot pants warmed my neck before he pulled away to look at me. His eyes were a deep, cerulean blue, and I felt like I was swimming in them. He back away, setting me back on my feet but keeping my body close to his. He kissed my forehead before tucking me into him, rocking our bodies slightly. “Thank you for everything, Niall.”

He pulled away to look me in the eyes. “It’s no problem, Darling. Remember, call me if anything happens.” He said, and I nodded. He dipped his head again, pressing a swift, hot kiss to my lips. It lasted for a second that felt like a lifetime, and then he was gone, out the door and his back was the only thing I saw. I waved at him as he back out, shutting the door and flipping the lock, a sense of loneliness filling me because he wasn’t here with me anymore.