0.8 | Exposing The Cheater

Sapphire

My feet drag along the floor, the soles of my shoes squeaking as I reach my locker. Lazily, I rub my eye as I put in my combination, swinging the door open to reveal all of my books for the day. Yawning with a hand over my mouth, I pull out my math book. It's barely the second hour of school, yet I already feel dead.

I was up all night trying to figure out why people cheat. An answer that never came. If you really love someone, you wouldn't even think about doing anything with another person. And if you're not in love, why not just break up? It doesn't make sense to me.

As I close the locker door again, Julissa's face appears right in front of me and I jump back in shock, my book falling from my grip. If I needed a rude awakening, I got it.

I bend down to pick it up and hug it against my chest. Her eyes follow my every move, a deep sneer taking over her usually pretty features. If she would just smile more, she'd be drop dead gorgeous.

"Where's Ian?" She suddenly asks, her hands resting on her hips.

I crease my eyebrows. Why do you care? "How should I know?" I ask instead. Snapping at her is like jumping into a raging fire with no exit.

She rolls her blue eyes at me, a manicured hand reaching over to grab my book. She slams it on the ground, the loud noise successfully catching the attention from everyone around us. I glance around, feeling intimidated by all the curious stares. When I reach down to grab my book, though, she steps on it to prevent me from picking it up.

"Please, I just want to get to class." I mumble, "I don't know what you want from me, but I didn't do anything for you to treat me like this."

"Where's Ian?" She asks again, completely ignoring my plea.

"I don't know. He wasn't home when I left, okay? Now let me grab my book."

"What's going on between you two?" She glares through her thick false lashes. "And don't act innocent."

"I don't need to act innocent, because there's really nothing going on between us." I sigh exasperatingly. If she wasn't such a hypocrite, I probably wouldn't judge how much of a bitch she is. "He's just renting a room to me, for Christ's sake!"

Suddenly, she takes a hold of my wrists and I struggle to get away. "Why don't you tell me the truth, huh? Why didn't he come to school today?"

"Can we at least take this somewhere more private? No one needs to listen in on our personal conversation." For your sake, at least. Because I have nothing to hide.

She scoffs bitterly, shoving me into the lockers. I wince. "Whatever you have to say, say it in front of everyone. In fact," she takes a moment to raise her voice. "Everyone listen to what Sapphire has to say!" She announces and even more people stop to zone in on our interaction.

I look into her glaring eyes. Adrenaline pumps through my veins as I muster up the courage to expose her. I know I'm gonna regret it and feel guilty, even though I'm not the one who betrayed the trust of the person I claimed to love.

Heaving a sigh, I push her away from me and bend down quickly to pick up my book. As I hug it securely against my chest – feeling a sense of security with it – I finally find it within me to say the words that will probably ruin her entire reputation.

"He saw you and Ivan kissing behind the bleachers yesterday." I watch as sheer shock takes over her features. Everyone around us chatter silently within themselves, their accusing gaze focused on Julissa. "Don't you feel any guilt at all?" I continue, saving Ian from having to confront her about it. "He loved you and treated you so amazingly. Any girl would kill to be in your place. And I guess now they might actually have a chance."