28: Cristina

I sat on the beach beside Emma, as we watched everyone swim in the ocean. Livvy and Dru were standing there, giggling, and looking at Matthew, who was smiling at James. James looked annoyed with him. Lucie and Cordelia were splashing each other, laughing. Anna was sitting with Tavvy on the beach, helping him make a sandcastle. Jesse was sitting with Ty, as Ty explained his book to him. Jesse looked very engaged. Diego and Jaime were smiling at each other, and I resisted the urge to roll my eyes.

Finally, Mark and Julian were standing together, in the ocean. I couldn't tear my eyes away from Mark. His abs were so nice, and I blushed slightly. I missed him so much. We hadn't talked in over a week, and it was killing me. I wanted to talk to him, hold his hand, and kiss him. Everyone thought we were going to get back together, but I wasn't so sure. Mark seemed pretty serious about us breaking up. I sighed sadly.

"Stop staring at him." Emma said from beside me, making me jump.

I sighed again. "I can't. It's so pathetic."

"No, it's not. You're in love with him, no one can blame you." She said. "And look at that, now he's staring at you."

I snuck a glance at Mark, and sure enough, he was looking at me. He didn't bother to look away, when I caught him, and I felt hollow inside. That's what it felt like to be parted from him. Empty and hollow. Like something vital inside of me was missing. I quickly looked away from him, and at Emma. She was giving me a sympathetic expression.

"I'm hopeless." I said. "I'm so weak."

"No, you're not." Emma said firmly. "You're human."

I only sighed. Julian then called Emma to come into the ocean. Her eyes lit up at his voice. She then flashed me a reassuring smile, and went and joined her Parabatai. I then sat there, on the sand, alone. I'm literally so lame, I thought to myself, and laughed a little. I was so lost in my thoughts, that I didn't even notice someone come and sit beside me. I looked to my right, and saw Mark. His pale blonde hair was wet, and water droplets ran down his chest. My cheeks flamed from being so close to him.

"How come you're not swimming?" I asked, my first words to him in a week.

"Thought I'd keep you company." He said simply, staring out into the ocean. "How come you're not swimming?"

"Not really in the mood." I mumbled, looking away from him.

From a bit in front of us, Tavvy laughed loudly, and Anna grinned at him, happily. I smiled, I thought that it was quite that she was playing with him.

"She doesn't seem like one to be good with kids." Mark mused, smiling slightly.

"People are full of surprises." I said, smiling at the two of them.

He looked at me then, his eyes becoming eyes. "Yes, they are."

I looked at him for a moment, and then looked at everyone in the ocean. Lucie and Cordelia were grinning at Mark and I, and I rolled my eyes at them, smiling. I looked behind us, to see Jesse and Ty laughing. It was sweet to see the two of them. It wasn't often that you saw Ty laugh.

"Have you talked to Jaime?" Mark asked suddenly.

I felt surprised. "Why?"

"He's your best friend." He said simply.

I sighed. "He was my best friend. Emma's my best friend, now. But no, I haven't talked to him, and he hasn't tried to talk to me."

"That's good." Mark said.

"Yeah." I sighed.

We sat there for a few minutes, and then I decided to go back inside and get a glass of water. Mark said he'd come with me. We walked in silence towards the Institute, and it felt awkward. We walked inside, and into the kitchen. As I filled up my glass with water, I thought about how Mark had confessed his love for me here, and I blushed. My eyes went to where he had kissed me, and I looked up at him. He was already looking at the spot. I quickly averted my eyes.

"I miss you." Mark said suddenly. "So much."

"I miss you, too." I said quietly.

He stood up, and moved towards me, until we were face to face.

"I miss talking you, and hearing your voice." He spoke softly. "I still want to talk to you, Cristina."

I swallowed. "I do too."

"We can still be friends." Mark suggested.

Friends. That was it. I knew that it was going to be the best I was going to get, though. Still, I wouldn't be able to hold his hand, sleep in his bed, or kiss him. It would kill me inside, but it was the only choice I had.

"Alright." I agreed. "Friends it is."

Mark looked down at me, and I stared back, feeling lightheaded. Our lips were then suddenly on each other's. He pulled me to him, and I linked my arms around his neck. Mark kissed me, fiercely.

"This isn't what friends are supposed to do." He mumbled against my lips.

"Then stop kissing me." I panted, pulling away from him.

Mark only groaned, tiredly, and smashed his lips to mine, again. He lifted me on top of the counter, and stood in between my legs, and kissed me. He trailed his lips down to my neck, and bit and sucked it. I made a sound, and closed my eyes. There was no feeling, that compared to what it felt like to be touching Mark. He kissed me again, and my hands tangled in his hair. A few minutes later, we pulled away, catching our breath.

"What are we doing, Mark?" I asked tiredly.

"I don't know, but I don't want to stop." He whispered.

He put his forehead against mine, and I sighed.

"Kiss me. Kiss me one last time, and then we'll be friends from then on. Okay?" I whispered.

Mark pulled away from me, looking lost. "Okay."

He then kissed me again, and I melted into him, knowing that this would be the last kiss we would ever have.