Chapter 11: Tests, Part 1

Eleven

Eleven

25th Sun

"Mhysra?"

Exiting the servant's stairway, Mhysra froze, cursing herself for forgetting that her mother's office was at this end of the house. Until now it hadn't mattered. Besides, it was still early on the morning after the ball – most people would still be abed. Or most normal people, anyway.

"We must talk."

Knowing she had no other choice, Mhysra walked into her mother's gloomy study. Never a big room, it was made smaller by stacks of papers on the shelves, desk, chairs and floor. Despite its haphazard appearance it was all meticulously ordered. Lady Kilpapan would tolerate nothing less.

"Sit down." Her mother indicated the chair in front of the desk. As Mhysra shifted stack of papers, the countess eyed her critically. "You intend to visit the eyries?"

Perching carefully on the cleared seat, Mhysra raised her chin. "I see Cumulo every day," she said, folding her hands in her lap. "And fly whenever I can."

Lady Kilpapan narrowed her eyes at Mhysra's flying breeches. "Do you always visit the eyries dressed like that?"

Mhysra licked her lips, thinking fast. "The eyries are dusty in the summer. It would be a shame to get my riding dress dirty when no one sees me." Inspiration struck and she plucked at her worn shirt. "No one minds if these old things of Kilai's get messy."

Lady Kilpapan studied her daughter's outfit. "When you say that no one sees you dressed so scandalously, that's not quite true, is it?"

Mhysra's heart thumped, but she tried not to let her unease show. She was so close, surely she wouldn't be discovered now. There was only a month of the selection school left.

"The eyries are always full of Riders, and even if they aren't everyone assumes that they will be. You endanger your reputation every time you step outside dressed so. Endanger the reputation of the entire family. Have you no care for your sister?"

Relief collided with anger as Mhysra's heart pounded. So they were back to this. "I have yet to be recognised, mother. I do not believe the risk is so very great."

"Since you were raised in Wrentheria, I shall let your naivety pass. From now on you will wear a riding costume whenever you go to the eyries, or you shall not go at all. Is that clear?"

Mhysra stared at the wall over her mother's shoulder, not daring to open her mouth lest she succumb to the urge to make some things of her own clear.

"Mhysra?" her mother repeated, voice hard. "Your aunt raised you to be wilful and your father has done nothing to curb you, but I will not stand for it. I asked you a question and I expect to be answered. You will wear a riding costume when you visit the eyries, is that clear?"