one

-before she came along-

The cold beer bottle was a cool contrast to the heat Paisley was feeling on her skin. It was so humid in the small, yet popular, night club. She was sure that her hair had frizzed a bit but she didn't really mind. She was tipsy enough to not even really care.

This wasn't Paisley's normal scene. She much rather enjoyed the quieter nights that she spent in her apartment, typing away on her laptop as she tried to figure out how she should continue the plot in a story. Or even just dancing around in her apartment with the harsh sounds of Green Day filling up the emptiness (Of course it would be with a glass of wine in her hand at all times.)

It wasn't the case that night. Her friends had dragged her out to some high-end bar about ten minutes away from her small Los Angeles apartment. She normally wouldn't mind hanging out with them, saying she hadn't seen them properly in three months but she just wished it wasn't at a club.

"Pais, are you okay? You've kind of zoned out."

Paisley felt a harsh, not as harsh as she'd been known to exaggerate sometimes, jab to her side. She blinked slowly and turned to face the mastermind of the crime.

Her eyes met the eyes of her best friend in the whole world.

"Just thinking Lu," she responded honestly.

Paisley had moved out to Australia at thirteen years old with her family from North Carolina. She had been so scared but not even a week of living in the new continent, she met Luke. The two were inseparable since. Luke then started the band and she befriended the other. They were close but they could never be as close as she was with the tall blond.

She, herself, wouldn't admit to it but she liked him so much to a point where sometimes it hurt her. She loved him like a lover and he loved her like a friend.

"Are you sure? I don't want you upset or anything. I care about you," Luke said softly. She nodded her head in response and Luke let it go. He technically didn't though, he'd ask her about it tomorrow morning and she'd give some bullshit excuse and blame it on alcohol.

Paisley leaned over and rested her head on his broad shoulder, feeling a bit at peace with all the chaos going on around them. She looked up slowly and admired Luke's features. Just a few inches and her fingers could touch his stubble, her lips could be on his. But none of that could happen since she had been irrevocably been placed in the friend zone.

Luke moved his hand and placed it around her waist, a gesture of comfort that he would do occasionally when he knew she was upset. It was one of her most favorite things that she did and she didn't understand on how Luke didn't notice that it drove her insane.

She changed her gaze and looked across the booth, noticing Calum had spotted her. He was making kissy faces at her that made her want to stab him in the thigh. Paisley reached out a short leg and made sure that she kicked him, hard.

Calum stopped right after.

She knew that Luke wouldn't let it go if she didn't act like "regular old Pais" so she joined in the conversation that he was having with Michael and laughed along as the two joked around. It was so simple and it made her so happy.

She loved being with him and just relaxing. It was so much easier to be around him than anyone she didn't know. He understood her completely.

Luke shifted in his seat and Paisley moved with him to accommodate. He grabbed his phone out of his back pocket and read something quickly before placing it back in.

"That was someone that I'm going to go find. I'll be back soon. I promise," he said quickly.

He pressed a light kiss to Paisley's forehead before he made his way out of the booth and took off to the front of the club.

"You're so whipped. You should just tell him," Calum finally spoke up.

"And ruin our friendship? No thank you. I'll get over it soon. I know I will," Paisley said shortly and that was the last thing said on that subject. At least by Calum. She quirked one eyebrow and Calum got the sign that he shouldn't have brought it up.

"You're so dumb. He likes you too. He's just oblivious to his feelings," Michael added, "He literally never shuts up about you."

"Just shut up! I don't know when he'll be back and I don't need him listening in on this," Paisley said.

The group then continued to start talking about something else that had happened, something about Michael forgetting to put on underwear on stage once and how he chaffed and internally cried the whole night. Paisley was laughing loudly at what they were saying and she felt happy.

"Hey! I'm back. I want to introduce you guys to someone special."

Paisley turned around and saw Luke with his arm wrapped around some girls waist. She was pretty tall and had tan skin. Her lips were fake and Paisley felt like she automatically couldn't trust her. A smirk graced the tall girl's lips as she smiled at the group.

"This is Valentina, my girlfriend."

Paisley felt her heart drop to the bottom of her stomach as she saw the girl's lips curl up into a smile. Everything was going downhill.

"Do you want to sit next to her?" Paisley asked softly, there wasn't enough room in the booth. She felt sick.

Luke motioned for Paisley to get out of the booth and motioned for Valentina to get in and then he got in after. The small girl rolled her eyes as she went and sat down next to Calum. The other girl, Valentina, started talking and not even five minutes in Paisley was annoyed.

She could only talk about her self and seemed so snobbish. What was Luke thinking?

"Calum, I want to leave," she whispered into his ear.

"I'll take you home. Don't worry," Calum said.

He motioned for her to get out and he followed.

"We're leaving. I'm taking Paisley back to her apartment," Calum told the table.

Luke's eyebrows furrowed as he glanced over at his best friend.

"Everything okay, Pais?" he asked.

"I think I'm just feeling a bit sick. Must've been something I ate," Paisley lied. She felt sick but it was for other reasons.

"Okay, I'll call you tomorrow and see how you're doing."

Luke quickly got up and hugged the small girl before sending her on her way with his best friend.

Paisley got home and spent the rest of the night with Calum, drinking boxed wine and crying in her small apartment.

"It's gonna be okay. I promise," Calum said softly, pressing a light kiss to Paisley's forehead. It wasn't the same of when Luke would do it to comfort her. He couldn't do that anymore though, he had a girlfriend.

It would never be the same.

***
This felt too real to write saying I also loved my best friend and I just got over it a few months ago and even then I'm not completely over that person so.

Anyways, I updated. Paisley is in the media. She won't have as big of lips and she doesn't have a nose ring but that's basically what she looks like. I'm so excited for this story. You guys have no idea.

-malumwritings