Chapter 1: Murder Capitol

Java Green.

"Java please wake up, and get King up too," My older sister, Sanai, called peeking her head into my room.

I groaned in response, but rolled over anyway and checked the time on my iPhone. It was 6:30 a.m., which meant I had a full two hours before school started. Knowing that me and all three of my siblings had to share a shower, I hopped up and rushed to the bathroom before anyone else could.

Sanai and I both took the longest getting ready, because we were girls obviously. My older brothers, Ace and King, always had a fit whenever we'd end up using all of the hot water.

"Java hurry yo ass up," My older brother King shouted. "Ain't nobody got time for your ass to be taking all morning in the shower."

I rolled my eyes and continued my routine. King would be alright, he fussed like this every morning. He should be used to it by now. The banging on the door became louder and harder so I knew it was my eldest brother, Ace, this time.

"Java if your ass ain't out of this shower in the next 1o minutes I'ma come in there and beat yo ass!" He yelled through the door.

I hurriedly turned off the water and climbed out of the shower. I wasn't too much scared of King, but Ace was a completely different story. He did not play at all.

I wrapped the towel around my body, grabbed my dirty clothes, and slid past King on my way out of the bathroom. He stuck his tongue out at me like the childish little shit he was, and then walked into the bathroom.

Back in my room I plugged up my phone to the portable speaker Ace had gotten me a while back. Scrolling through my playlist, I finally decided on "Know One" by Kevin Gates. We were all Kevin Gates fans in this house.

I danced around my room as I got ready for school, humming the lyrics of the song to myself. I finished getting dressed just as the song switched to "Mind Control" by Big KRIT. Just then all three of my siblings burst into my room singing.

"M-I-crooked I was cooking up an old school," Ace shouted, bouncing up and down.

"Sprinkled it with bad bitch, mixed it up with soul food," King finished off doing a little jig.

We all laughed as the song continued to play in the background. It was very rare that all of us were at home during the same time and actually got to enjoy each other's company. A permanent smile was plastered on my face as I looked at my siblings.

"Alright, alright," Sanai laughed. "Y'all have got to get to school, I gotta go to work, andddd," she paused looking at Ace. "Ace has to do whatever it is his ass does during the day." She rolled her eyes.

We all knew what Ace did, but Sanai refused to say it because she didn't condone it. She would never stand up to Ace and say that though because he was providing for us the best way he knew how. We all knew Ace wasn't the type of guy that could go out and get a real job. He had too much hustler's ambition in him, and besides, no one would want his thuggish ass anyway.

We all filed out of my room and got ready to go our separate ways. Ace grabbed his phones off the kitchen counter and poured himself a bowl of cereal. King grabbed a breakfast bar, throwing me one as well, and then grabbed his basketball off the floor. We both picked up our bookbags and headed out the door.

"Bye Sa, Bye Ace. Love you both," I threw over my shoulder. They both told me their respective goodbyes, and King and I stepped out into the cool Birmingham air.