2:05

[ THE STAND: CHAPTER FIVE ]

"I'm sorry, did he say wife?" Marcel finally asked once Elijah had dismissed the two, not wanting Marcel to be making an alliance with the Strix and not wanting Rhea near Tristan, that combination could be deadly to his family given the current circumstances.

"Yes." She answered shortly, the answer leaving a bitter taste on her tongue— she didn't want to dwell on the subject but of course Marcel was going to push for more.

"But I thought you and Kol had been together for like, ever?" His confusion was clear, Rhea sighed, she knew she was no getting out of this one— she would have to explain.

"Marcel; things between me and Kol were not plain sailing in the beginning, I assure you. I was already pretty much betrothed to Tristan before the Mikaelsons arrived in Marseilles, I harboured feelings for him and he was complete infatuated with me— It didn't compare to what I felt for Kol, though, he had promised that when his family left, he would take me with him, but it didn't quite work that way." She paused,

"Tristan had caught wind of our plans to get away and told Kol that if he try to leave with me, everyone would find out what his family really were and that I was a witch. Of course, Tristan wanted to keep me around because he has some sort of obsession with power and with me, and no matter what you think of Kol, Marcel, what he did was selfless—he let me go, for the safety of his family and for me."

Marcel looked rather shocked, as he thought of Kol as nothing more than a troublemaker— "So you stayed with Tristan?"

"Well, I married Tristan to keep the Count De Martel happy, and not long after, the Mikaelsons left, they compelled Aurora, Tristan and Lucien to believe they were Elijah, Rebekah and Klaus to act as ploys for Mikael. Ares and myself stayed with them, made sure they didn't get themselves killed while trying to evade Mikael. One hundred years later, the compulsion broke and they remembered who they truly were, we didn't stay with them much longer— they wanted revenge on the Mikaelsons and I didn't want any part in that at that time, so we left." She confessed.

The two had arrived at Marcel's loft, the vampire immediately got to pouring them both a much needed drink.

"So how did you and Kol come back together?" He asked as he passed her a glass which she gladly accepted, as she sat down.

"It was Jerusalem in 1118, not long after they were daggered by the brotherhood of the five, Kol searched far and wide for me for four years— until he found me." She said with a smile on her face, before finishing her drink.

Marcel sat opposite her, "Cute." He pointed out, "I still don't like him much." Rhea rolled her eyes, not at all surprised by his words.

"Marcel, you need to be careful. The Strix having their eye on you is anything but good." She warned him, she hadn't always been the closest of friends with Marcel but she knew that nothing to do with that vampire cult was good.

"The Strix?" Came a new voice, the two turned to see Ares stood at the door, he looked confused and almost as if he was in a daze.

"Ares? You okay?" Rhea asked her brother as she moved to stand in front of him, he shook his head.

"No, I don't think I am." He whispered slightly, Rhea turned back to Marcel, saying goodbye to the vampire.