Love Not Lost > Kevin Trapp

"Thanks darling," Izabel smiled.

"Sure," I replied before she scurried out the door.

I turned my attention to the sleeping being on the couch. Walking over to him, I could hear the soft wheezing sound with every exhalation. His chest rose and fell in a slow rhythm as he breathed, and a small smile began to form on my lips.

I squatted down so my face was level with him. The day before we had been having our usual phone conversation when he told me he was ill. I told him I would come in the morning bringing medicine. And so there I was.

I scanned his face; the face I have looked at lovingly for over twenty years of my life. Despite having the flu, he still looked effortlessly perfect.

When we were five, we would have regular play-dates at his house. It was something I used to always look forward to everyday. Once, he fell sick. But my mother was unaware of it, and sent me over as usual. I had run up to his room only to be greeted by my snoring friend.

His mom had hurried into the room saying, "I'm sorry dear, but Kevin's sick today." As she led me out, I had looked over my shoulder before asking her, "but Kevin looks okay."

She had laughed, "Kevin never seems to look sick, honey. Ever."

"Twenty years later and you can still pull it off," I whispered, laughing to myself. The only reply I got was silence, and I found myself reaching for his face.

I placed my hand on his cheek, gently caressing it. My thumb slowly traced his cheekbone, savouring the rare feel of his skin under my hand.

When we were 13, I would often watch him play street soccer. He was very determined to prove how good of a keeper he was back then. Once, a boy kicked into the far top corner of the goal. He had stretched all the way just to punch it away. But in the process, he lost his footing and came tumbling down onto the tarmac.

I had run up to him, waving away every other boy who came toward him.

"Damn, it's bleeding," he uttered, grasping onto the wound on his knee. I quickly fished one of the band aids I kept in my pockets. "Here," I said as I tore it open. He laughed when he saw the band aid, "since when do you keep those in your pocket?"

"Since you started playing football," I said matter-of-factly, carefully placing it on his wound. I gently pressed into place, before flashing him a smile. "Good as new."

He looked at the wound and then beamed at me, "you're the best."

I had walked back to the sides blushing, and I wasn't sure why initially. But eventually I realized why. I was in love with him. I had tried to brush it off, but with each passing year, I only grew to love him more.

I was just watching him sleep peacefully when suddenly, he stirred. I quickly pulled my hand back as he let out a long yawn. He blinked a few times before seeing me in front of him. "Hey there," he uttered, a small smile on his lips.

"Morning, princess. How are you feeling?" I stood up as he pushed himself up to a sitting position.

He ran a hand through his hair, looking up at me. "Better."

"I brought the medicine anyway," I gestured to the kitchen counter. He glanced that way before smiling, "You're the best."

Almost instantly, I could feel the butterflies in my stomach. I smiled, like I usually did when I was trying to hide my feelings for him.

"Where's Izabel?" He asked, looking around.

"She went to the shops. She told me to stay in case you needed anything."

He laughed softly, "I don't recall being twelve."

As if on cue, Izabel came sauntering through the door. "You're awake!" She exclaimed, seeing her boyfriend seated on the couch. I took a few steps back as she headed straight for the couch, muttering a bunch of words spoken so fast I picked up not a single one.

I stood there awkwardly as she continued cooing to him, like the concerned girlfriend she was. Finally, I cleared my throat to try catch their attention. Luckily for me, they both turned to face me. "Well, I should go," I gestured to the door.

"Take care, Kevin." I forced a smile as I looked at happy couple in front of me. "Thanks for coming," Kevin smiled weakly. "See you soon, okay?"

I nodded, "sure."

Upon exiting his apartment, I found myself leaning against the door. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as I tried to take it all in. It was probably the millionth time I'd done it since Izabel came into his life.

When we were 18, we had sat on my lawn one night, aimlessly counting the stars together. "Can you promise me something?" He had said suddenly.

I looked at him curiously, "what?"

"Promise me you'll always be happy."

I had laughed, thankful of the dark for hiding the redness of my cheeks.

"I mean," he continued, "we're growing up and going places. And I just want you to be happy through all that. No matter what."

I turned to face him, "I will if you promise to do the same."

"Deal," he grinned.

Fast forward seven years later and I was standing in front of his door trying to hold back my tears as I thought about the promise. The reality was blatantly lain right in front of me. Kevin was happy.

But I was heartbroken. He looked at Izabel the way I had always dreamed he would look at me. He loved her much more than he ever loved me. I looked to the ground and took another deep breathe. And at that moment I decided that I would be happy. You have to be happy for the ones you love right?

Hi friends! I'm writing a story which is kind of a sequel to this story.

I now have a sequel to that story too, called Ever After hehe :)

It's on my profile, hope you guys could check it out! :)