Chapter 53 - Work Work!

I sat at my merch desk. It wasn't 6:00 yet, and the doors weren't open yet, I had collected a vast supply of merch within arms reach, so I didn't have to continuously get up, it was awkward for both the customer and myself, considering, me standing was a bit of an event.

At 6 o'clock, people began entering the lobby and I straightened in my chair. People began forming lines at the various stands, and a long line of teenagers were at mine. This was the best job, I loved it because so many people knew who I was and were generally excited to see me, as if I were a part of their Hamilton seeing experience.

"Hi!" A girl who looked to be about my age approached my stand first.

"Hi, can I help you?" I asked, smiling at the girl in front of me.

"Yes," she rattled off a few items that I immediately began bagging and ringing up. "By the way," she continued as I rolled up a shirt and put it in a bag, "I'm a big fan, so, I know who you are."

"Oh, thanks." I responded, wrapping a mug in paper so it wouldn't break.

"A lot of us have been following your adoption since the very beginning."

"Really?" I was surprised. I didn't think that I was that interesting

" Yeah! We're all on your side with the whole," she gestured towards my ankle, which sat behind the stand, "Nick situation."

"Thank you so much, I mean, its been hard, its nice to know that people care, that not everyone is like my principle." I handed her her bag, and read her the price.

"Thank you! It was great to get to meet you!"

"You as well! Enjoy the show!" As I said this, she turned and walked into the auditorium.

These conversations continued for about 15 minutes, generally if people stood in my line, they knew who I was, and they were willing to wait, it felt nice though, like people like you. Most of the people were girls, but occasionally, a guy would show up. So yeah, I get hit on a little. What people need to understand is that there are 2 kinds of being hit on. One type is like when Nick shoved me into the wall and started kissing me. The second type is basically, a guy telling you that you're pretty, or that they like you, its not all bad, considering, not all of these guys knew that I had a boyfriend.

"Hey babe." Oh, see, example time.

"Hi, how can I help you?" I asked.

"I don't know. It's down to the sweatshirt, the hat, and the Room Where it Happens t-shirt." He leaned on the counter.

"Oh, well, I would go with the hat. That's just me of course."

"Ok. Yeah, good call, I'll take the hat." I grabbed one from a bag by my feet.

"Is there anything here that you would like?" He asked, you see this is what I was talking about. He's being nice, he doesn't know I have a boyfriend. It's ok.

"Oh, um, no. I literally have everything sold here."

"Wait really?"

"Yeah" I said ringing him up.

"How does that work? Is it because you work here?"

"No, I'm Lins kid."

"Wait really?" He asked taking his bagged hat from me.

"Yeah." I laughed a little.

"Well, do you want, like, a cookie?" He persisted.

"Sure, thanks. I'm Abigail, by the way."

"I'm Hunter, and I'll be right back." I smiled to myself and started helping the next person in line.

5 minutes later Hunter tapped me on the shoulder.

"Abigail?" I turned to look at him, he had a cookie in hand, "this is for you." He handed me the wrapped cookie.

"Thank you so much."

"I should go in," he gestured to the auditorium, "it was nice meeting you."

"It was nice meeting you too."  With that he walked into the auditorium.

The show started about 10 minutes after that interaction, and I had 3 hours to kill before I could go home. Kind of sucks. I could hear the show through the doors. I ended up doing homework, texting friends, writing, you get it. It passed time very slowly, but it worked.

The show finally ended, and people started pouring out of the auditorium. Eventually the crowd died down, and I made my way backstage.

"Have you seen Lin?" I asked Jasmine as I walked backstage.

"Yeah, um, he's packing up." She responded

"Thanks." I went over to his dressing room, which he was coming out of.

"Hey! Sorry, but I'm stage dooring tonight, so, we should probably go now, or we'll be here all night."

"Oh, ok. I've never stage doored before so, this should be interesting."

"Yeah, interesting." He said walking towards the door. We walked outside and there were tons of people there. I slowly followed Lin out. There was a lot of screaming, and lots of playbills, a lot of playbills. He started signing them.

"Abigail!" I looked into the crowd, Luke. One of Nicks friends saw the show, and was waiting at the stage door to see the cast. You never know. I moved behind Lin a little bit more.

"Hey, you ok?" He whispered back to me.

"Yeah." I whispered back. He considered to sign playbills for 5 minutes. All the while Luke was glaring at me from the crowd. He finally finished and walked out of the barricades, I followed closely, not wanting Luke to try and follow.

"Abigail!!" He yelled again.

"Looks like you've got a fan." Lin said.

"Yeah." I laughed a little. We were on the way to the car, when I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Go away Luke."

"Shut up." He grabbed my waist.

"Let go." I said trying to squirm away.he yanked me back to him. I yelped a little and my crutches fell from underneath me. I fell back and he grabbed me from behind. His hands moved around a little too much on my stomach, and I yelped again.

"Hey, you ok?" Lin turned around, "Woah!" He grabbed my arm, and yanked me up. "What's wrong with you?!" He shouted at Luke, who turned to walk away, but Lin grabbed his arm before he could, "don't walk away from me! Don't touch my daughter!"

"Hey man, cut it out!" Luke said shoving Lin. I had my crutches back and I stood watching. Suddenly Luke flew back, and fell on the ground. Lin punched him.

"Come on, let's go." He walked behind me this time. "Are you ok?"

"Yeah I'm fine, just a little shaken up."

"Gonna guess he was one of Nicks friends."

"Yep. The one who gave me a black eye."

"Punk." I laughed a little.

Thanks for reading!

-Abi