Chapter Forty

Kito dragged himself back home, exhausted after his day with the hyenas. Lindia's confrontation went as smoothly as it could as far as hyena standards went. After all, Shenzi was there to buff out any rough patches. He'd hugged Lindia when they were done; she was practically crying with joy and relief. He remembered her mother's look out of the corner of his eye... disgust and disbelief.
If she doesn't believe that hyenas and lions can get along, then that's her problem.
He climbed up Pride Rock slowly, his entire body tired from running around all day. He'd gotten to the top when suddenly he heard a chorus of giggling. His ears perked up and he looked around for the source of the noise when he saw a group of young lionesses at the entrance to the main den. Many of them were about Nala's age or a bit older he knew, but they still looked young to him.
He sauntered up to them and tried as discreetly as he could to see if Nala was in the group. No sign of her.
"What's all the giggling about?" he asked, offering a sly smile at the group.
They all burst into laughter, giving each other looks that were starting to make Kito feel a little less at ease.
"Najia over here was just saying how handsome you looked," one of them snickered, gesturing towards her friend.
The tawny lioness didn't drop his gaze as his eyes landed on hers. Her eyes were a bright orange amber color that comforted him when he looked at them.
"Was she now?" Kito mused, making his way towards the lioness. All the tiredness seemed to ebb and fade until it vanished from his body. A feeling like he had never felt before overcame him; a need to conquer, a wave of desire. Then he was standing in front of her. She stood, unflinching, as he looked into those mystifying eyes. A small grin crept onto her face, and he could see the want in her eyes, too.
He heard the other lionesses snickering, but he didn't care.
"Let's go to the water hole. I want to know a little more about you, and it's far more private there."
She nodded and followed after him as they made their way down Pride Rock. Kito could feel the astonished stares on their backs as they disappeared into the night.

Kito fell into step with Najia, their paws thudding against the dry, hard dirt that was starting to appear in the Pridelands.
"So, tell me about yourself, Najia," he said, stealing a glance over at her.
"What do you want me to tell you, specifically?" she asked, her glance meeting his briefly.
He gave her a crooked smile, his eyes flashing in the darkness.
"Anything."
She laughed quietly and Kito felt her tail touch his.
"Well, I've always wondered what it would be like to be around a male my age," she whispered.
"And what's it like?" he asked, leaning closer to her.
"Amazing. I feel alive!" she laughed, bounding off towards the water hole.
Kito laughed and ran after her.
She looked over her shoulder as she leaped and dashed gracefully in front of Kito, and he grinned as he propelled towards her. Suddenly he was right beside her and he gasped as she put her paws around his neck, dragging them both to the ground. They were both panting and Kito realized that he was lying on top of her. He went to move, but then he looked down at her beautiful face and her dazzling eyes. He decided to stay, with her paws around his neck. He smiled gently down at her and she looked up at him with hooded eyes.
"I really like you, Kito," Najia murmured, " You're so mysterious, so sly... I love it."
Her paws wrapped tighter around his neck as she picked her head up and licked his cheek.
He hid his surprise, looking down at her instead with a crooked grin and half-closed eyes. She grinned back up at him, her amber eyes flashing in the darkness.
"I like you, too, Najia," he whispered, lowering his head close to her ear.
She giggled as his breath tickled her ear. He licked her cheek, marveling at the feeling of having someone so close. She rubbed her head against his and she laughed quietly when his mane touched her face.
"We should do this again," she breathed, looking happily up at his face.
Kito nodded.
"So you don't want to spend the night together now?"
She stared up at him, and in her expression he could see that she wanted to.
"I-I'm not sure. Do you want to?"
He saw the uncertainty in her eyes and he was uncertain, too. Then suddenly he thought of Nala.
Maybe if she heard about this, then she would want me all to herself.
"I think that we've both been suppressed for so long. I can see the rebellious nature in you, Najia... let me set you free," he whispered, smiling devilishly.
She watched him with cautious eyes, and he could tell something in her had changed. She seemed to realize that she had made a mistake, but he had the upper hand now.
Something in him had snapped. His rebellious side had finally been set loose. He nipped at her neck and she tensed up suddenly. She shoved him off and rolled to her paws, watching him the entire time.
He stayed on the ground, rolling lazily onto his side to stare quietly up at her.
"Maybe another night... I just wasn't thinking..." Najia stammered.
"Don't think, just do," Kito said, slowly getting to his paws.
She hesitated. He could tell she wanted to let go, but everything she had ever been taught was telling her not to. He moved closer to her until they were nose-tip to nose-tip.
"Let me know when you make up your mind," he whispered.
She looked at the ground, deep in thought. Then she looked him in the eye, and a calm, clear smile appeared on her face.
"Let's spend the night together. I don't care what the others think."
Kito grinned as she nuzzled her head into his neck.
This will show Nala. She should've taken me when she had the chance.