26| ''It was him''

A/N: A picture of Leila Rosewater in the media. 

JETT

'Is that your brother?' Julian joked, bumping into me - a hand around a champagne bottle. His face was full with lipstick smudges and his tie was loose. Despite the hazardous appearance, his eyes stood sharp as he followed my gaze.

We both looked at Nathaniel, in his neat tux, kissing the hands of ladies as they lined up - each eager for a swirl on the dance floor with Nathaniel Lionfield.

I groaned, rubbing a hand on the back of my neck, 'It is'.

'Quite a ladies man, ain't he?' Julian grinned, taking a swig of his champagne before he leaned against the balcony with his elbows, 'Won't he be mad that you're here again?'

'Why should I care what he thinks?' I murmured before grinning and snatched the bottle from his hand before taking one deep swig.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

'Stop being so pathetic!'

The punch that came to my cheek was deafening and my head rang as I fell back, feeling my cheekbone shatter under my brother's knuckles.

I spat out a mouth full of blood before rubbing the back of my hand over my bloody lips, 'I don't like attending these events'.

Nathaniel was panting, the white undershirt of his tux spattered by drops of my blood. All the gentlemanly demeanour the outside world saw was gone, 'You need to get your act together,' he growled gutturally as he advanced towards me.

I scrambled back a bit before sitting up, fixing him with one defiant stare, 'Why? I killed Daniel, I don't deserve to live'.

Another haze seemed to pull over his face before he lifted me by the lapels, our faces inches from each other, 'Stop talking about Daniel, and get a grip'.

'Why do you want me to get a grip?' I growled back, struggling against his hold, 'Why don't you just leave me alone?'

'Shut up,' he whispered, pinning me against the bed as his fist drew back, 'SHUT UP!'

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I woke up with a start, as if I tasted the broken shrapnel of bones in my mouth that I had received that day. That was the first time I had wondered why Daniel's death got to Nathaniel so much. His perseverance in having me feel alright seemed weird and when I opened my eyes I looked into worried blue orbs.

Bambi.

'Did you remember something? she whispered, her fingers dancing over my sweaty forehead.

I panted, my chest heaving so hard I thought I'd perhaps popped a lung during Eluen's attempt at ridding me of my medication, 'Yes'.

'Pixie, hand me some Balmroot,' Lady Eluen's voice sounded and small footsteps sounded before something cool was pressed against my forehead and Eluen's green eyes appeared above me, 'Once you feel up for it, we'll try again, alright?'

I nodded silently, gripping Keira's hand in mine.

KEIRA

I didn't know how many secrets there were left uncovered.

It seemed that the more I found out, the more sick I felt in my stomach. That everything was a lie, a façade of some sort that had managed to slip from my fingers undetected.