Chapter 13: End Of The Night

The January term at NYU had started up again and I was happy to finally be back into my lectures. Over the Christmas break I had barely done any work and so I was adamant to study hard this term.

After my first lecture of the term, I headed straight to the library to work on my essays. As I was just sitting down in the library, my phone rang.

"Hey new girl, where you at?"

"Hey Gerard," I whispered, so to not disturb other people in the library "I'm at Bobst."

"What?"

"Bobst library. I'm working on my essays."

"You're such a nerd Izzy," he said. "Term has just started. You're supposed to start panicking about essays at the end of the term."

"Shut up," I smirked. "I told you, I like studying."

"Well, I'm just checking that we're still on for tonight?"

"I'll be there," I smiled. "Don't worry. See you at 9."

I studied in the library for a couple of hours before heading back to my dorm to get ready. I put on a navy blue dress which had long sleeves and fitted tightly around my body. I slipped on some black tights and some flat shoes, applied my make-up and headed back out again to meet Gerard. He was stood outside my dorm room, in what I could only describe as a picturesque moment. He was stood in the dark, underneath a street lamp holding a single lily flower in his hand. It was lightly snowing outside and his hair had a faint coating of snow upon it. It looked like a scene from a movie.

"Hi new girl," he said with a smile, handing the flower to me.

"Thank you," I said, taking the flower from him. He held out his hand and I took it. He walked me down a few streets to a nearby bar and restaurant. 

"Are you hungry?" he asked.

"Yes," I admitted. "Absolutely starving!"

He opened the door for me and we walked inside and got a table. We ordered food and drinks. The place was dim but cosy with a fireplace in the middle of the room and walls dressed with wooden logs, like a cosy chalet. We had a few drinks and talked about NYU and music, just like we normally did.

"Are you ready to go?" he asked. I nodded and he took my hand yet again to escort me to our next destination. As we turned the corner outside, we were met by a huge puddle covering the entire pavement. I looked down at my flimsy flat shoes and sighed.

"Do you need some help?" he asked, before quickly grabbing me and pulling me into his arms. He carried me across, his feet getting wet in the process. He put me down once we had safely reached dry pavement, with a smug grin on his face.

"Thank you," I smiled, feeling flustered and slightly timid. I didn't often consider Gerard as a strong male, because he was skinny and had no interest in things such as sports. But when he wanted to be, he could be. He led me a few streets further and we entered the same bar I had watched him perform in the day after I had met him.

"Will you be alright by yourself?" he asked, escorting me to a table in front of the makeshift stage.

"Of course," I smiled.

I watched proudly as Gerard climbed on stage and was soon accompanied by Mikey. They had decided to start a band together and with the help of one other friend they had formed a band and named themselves Raygun Jones. Gerard was the singer, Mikey was on bass and their other friend was on guitar. Gerard was playing a bit of guitar, but he wasn't good enough to play live just yet. I had been tutoring him from my dorm room and he was slowly getting better.

I watched their show and cheered at the end, proud of how talented Gerard was and how untrained but incredible his voice was. Even in this tiny venue where nobody expected good music, Gerard managed to captivate the attention of everybody who was in the room. I felt proud to be associated with him when I heard people nearby talking about how talented he was.

After the show, I chatted briefly to Mikey and then Gerard insisted on walking me home, as it was around midnight. He took my hand and walked me home. On the walk, I told him over and over again about how amazing his voice was, until we were back outside my building.

"So," he said, turning to face me. "How was that for a first date?"

"That was a perfect first date," I grinned. "But there was one tiny problem..."

"What is it?" he asked, looking concerned.

"It didn't feel much like a date," I said. "Because there was no kiss."

"Well you're being impatient," he smirked. "The kiss comes at the end of the night."

He titled my head up with his hand under my chin and leaned in to kiss me. He placed a gentle kiss on my lips and then pulled away.

"It's a first date, so it has to be a gentle kiss," he explained, grinning at me.

"That's a shame," I sighed, grinning back. "I was thinking we could have continued our date upstairs."

He looked at me with shock and excitement, and also a nervous stare.

"R-really?" he stuttered. "I mean, I'm being a gentleman."

"Don't be," I said, throwing myself at him and kissing him deeply. I pulled him into my building by his shirt and led him into my dorm room.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" he said as I threw him onto my bed.

"Confident," I smiled, before climbing on top of him.