chapter |15

| mara's point of view

"Jimin made this whole thing up with me and Jungkook. He planned everything from the start. When I realized what we were doing was wrong, I was already dating you. I tried to put some sense in his head but he wouldn't listen to me." Taehyung stared right into my eyes and said it. "So I told him to leave me out of everything and now I'm here.. to protect you from him because I like you, Mara."

He likes me. ME. Does that make any sense?

"What? I don't understand.. and no, you shouldn't like me." I denied him. We were both so busy with ourselves that we forgot to watch over Bailey. "Bailey! No!"

I ran to where the tearing sound was coming from and caught the little monster gnawing on my school bag. I tried to catch him but the damage was already done. I took the precious pieces of paper in my hand and tried to connect each piece to the other but most were soaked in saliva, some were just too destroyed to be recognized.

"Mara I said I like you. Did you not hear what I said?" Taehyung stood over the mess, Bailey ran to him and he picked him up.

"Will you please just drop it for a second? Your dog ate my homework for christ's sake!" I was furious. It took me a whole day to solve those math problems and I suffered a great deal of headaches afterwards now they're all shredded and covered in mutt drool.

"What's that on your neck?" Taehyung squinted his eyes to the forming bruise.

"Nothing." I quickly clutched at my collar, hiding the bruised skin underneath. "It's because of my bag strap. I pulled on it too hard yesterday and it kind of twisted around my skin."

Taehyung pried my hands away from my neck and checked it for himself. He knew better than believing my lame excuse. Taehyung glared at the evident teeth marks on my skin, "Did Jungkook do this to you?"

"It's not a big deal. I allowed him to." I replied which was definitely a wrong move.

"You allowed him to?!" Taehyung cornered me, his eyes judging and angry, "What were you allowing him to do to you, huh? Do you even know what he has on his mind? They talk about sleeping with you all the time like pigs!"

"I know what I'm doing, Taehyung. You don't have to fucking patronize me!" I snapped back at him.

"No you don't. You think you know but you have no idea what's going on, Mara." Taehyung said.

"Then tell me!" I snapped at him, "Why is Jimin doing this? Why does he want to hurt me?"

He was speechless for a moment then he turned his back to me, "I can't. I'm sorry."

"I thought you said you will be honest with me? Why not start now, Taehyung?" I probed further, "Tell me what's Jimin up to?"

"I can't, Mara." He said, "Jimin is still my friend. He's important to me. You're important to me but that's something I would rather not cross."

Taehyung faced me again, looking at the distracting bruise on my neck then back at my face, "I promised to protect you and I will."

I let Taehyung and Bailey stay until late in the evening. They were great company compared to being alone. We ordered food for dinner and watched some movies afterward. Halfway through the ending of the movie, my mom called, saying that she'll be coming home later than she expected because of an uncooperative psych patient who was refusing to go back to his room. She said they were waiting for him to calm down a bit before they could sedate him.