Epilogue

Epilogue

It is with great difficulty that I recall my return to Castletown. Alone, I found myself eight years in the past as a nameless little boy. I returned to the precise moment I pulled the Master Sword from its pedestal. Only this time, the city and the palace were untouched by sword or flame, Ganondorf hadn't pursued me into the Sacred Realm, and Navi was no longer by my side.

After the Triforce rewove the threads of time so that Navi's companion was still alive, I consequently sent her home. At the time, I was unprepared for the grief this decision would bring. Despite this, I do not regret the choice I made.

What I do regret is that here, in this realm, the people will never know how close their beloved kingdom came to disaster. They will never understand that, because of my actions, they were given another chance. Yet, as I write these words, I hope someday that someone will understand.

When last I'd seen Castletown, the city had been a blackened tomb. Even to this day, I can still hear the ReDeads' pitiful moans as they prowled through that endless night. Not a day goes by that I don't recall their harrowing screams, nor the cries of those who died on that terrible night.

My sudden appearance upon the Temple of Time's steps caused quite a stir. I stood atop those stairs, pale and gaunt, an utter wretch. The sight of so many people wandering the streets caught me in a daze, and I barely noticed those turning and pointing towards me.

I think the guards were about to usher me on, no doubt thinking I was nothing more than a street urchin. Had I not been so lost in my churning thoughts, I might have laughed at the bitter irony. In the space of one day, I had gone from being heralded as a Fierce Deity to a nameless street urchin.

Thankfully, Impa came to my rescue soon after and pulled me back through the curious throng of people. She appeared just as she had on the day I met her in the palace. Her eyes were no longer gone, and her hair was tied into a well-kempt ponytail. As she steered me away, I wondered what else had changed. It was an effort not to trip over, as I found it much harder to walk quickly in my ten-year-old body. Impa led me towards the palace, and once we were halfway there, she halted at the mouth of an alley before steering us inside.

"Link?" her voice was gentle, almost motherly. "Where is Navi?"

I didn't meet Impa's gaze. The grief of losing Navi, despite knowing she was safe, was still raw as a freshly opened wound. My eye burned as I forced back a fresh wave of tears, and my throat tightened to the point of losing speech.

"Link?"

Impa placed a hand on my shoulder, and it wasn't until then that I trusted myself to form a coherent reply. "I- I sent her back to the forest."

Only after this did I look up, and her eyes met mine.

"I'm sorry." The sincerity in her voice almost startled me. "You sent her back to be with her companion, didn't you? The one she lost? That was part of what you asked for?"

After Impa had spoken those words, I realized something unexpected. "You remember?" I gasped, unable to hide my shock.

"More than I would like to," Impa answered in a grave tone. Knowing what she meant, I simply nodded.

"The others?"

"Perhaps." Before I could ask, she added, "Zelda does not remember, but..." she drew a deep breath. "All things considered, that is to be expected and is perhaps for the best."

I would later discover that for the Sages, it was as though they had awoken from a long premonition, the last eight years nothing more than a collection of memories.