Part twenty-eight

Dean P.O.V.

"I don't think it's a good idea if I go today, I don't feel good," I told Daniel in the morning. "I'll just stay home or I'll spread it in the hospital. Will you be okay?" I finished the question with a fake cough and let my voice croak a little.

"We should be, I'll tell Mum you aren't coming. Do you want anything from downstairs?" 

"No, I'm fine thanks," I replied. Dan smiled a one-sided smile before going down the stairs and I exhaled heavily, feeling guilty. I wasn't exactly ill or sick, but I was just exhausted mentally and physically. I needed a break today because I could feel myself cracking. 

I shut my eyes without the intention of going back to sleep just yet, knowing my slumber would be interrupted. Having my eyes closed felt good. It stopped me from seeing the blinding sunlight, the tired eyes of my brother and my tiny dying sister. I just needed to shut it all out for a while.

Even though I hadn't moved mountains or performed heart surgery, I felt overworked since I had to deal with a lot day in day out. But even still, I knew the worst was yet to come. Doctors at the hospital had dropped hints that Scarlett would be coming home soon for her the last days. That was half relieving, half terrifying. I wasn't completely sure on what my opinion was on that.

I didn't want to think about that just yet so my thoughts drifted to Jack and my hand went under my pillow and came back out when I had found my phone. I squinted when I looked at the screen but smiled when I read my daily good morning text he had sent just over an hour ago. 

From: Jack

Good morning :) I hope you feel okay today, I can't wait to see you later. I love you <3 

It was short and sweet, just how I liked it. 

From: Dean

Can I come round yours after school? I'm not going to hospital today, I need a break but I want to see you. I love you too :) <3 

From: Jack

Yeah, about 3:30? Lyle coming's over after school to pick up a game he wants <3 

From: Dean

That's fine :) <3 

From: Jack 

Good, I need to go to class but I'll see you later. Get some sleep! I love you <3 

From Dean: 

You're so sappy! I love you too though, I guess <3 

I prepared my fake ill voice when I heard Dan coming. I knew my family to point where I could tell who was coming up the stairs. Dan's footsteps were light and slow, Scarlett's were quick and clumsy and my mother's were heavy like the burden on her shoulders she chose to ignore. 

After reassuring Dan that yes I would be fine and yes I had my own house key, I heard the last minute rush downstairs and then eventually, the front door closed and the key turned in the lock. I lay still and cleared my thoughts, welcoming the peace and silence as my only company. It was a lot easier for my worn-out mind to stop working and continued to block out everything by turning on my side, slipping back into sleep. 

Ignorance is bliss. 

* * *

When I woke up a couple of hours later, the time of my phone told me it was almost two in the afternoon which meant I was due to see Jack in an hour and a half. 

That motivated me enough to get out of bed and shower so that I looked a bit more presentable than the scruffy look Jack was used to seeing. I was ready a lot earlier than what I had planned and tried to kill as much time as I could my making breakfast and watching TV, but nothing interesting was on and the voices of people that weren't Jack's were just plain irritating.