Chapter 46 - Are we going to die?

Chapter 46 – Are we going to die?

Ten whole minutes pass before the patrol situation is somewhat sorted. Despite there only being five people out there tonight, they're on a schedule to check back in only every hour unless there's an emergency, meaning that most of them didn't have their phones on them because they were trotting about as wolves. In the end, Justin managed to get hold of one of them, I'm not sure who, and told him to go and round up the others. Dean and Amy went and grabbed eight of the patrol group that David assigned during training and sent them on their way to take their place. According to Justin, none of the five had seen Baldwin escape the borders, which means he either managed to slip past them or is still within our territory. I'm not going to lie, neither of those options are preferable.

The one good thing, thankfully, is that the noise from the dining room seems to have gone quiet, meaning that Richard and Louisa have successfully managed to calm everyone down. Well, to some extent, at least.

By now, almost everyone has turned up. It's verging on half two and Wayne is on his way back with Helen, along with the five patrollers. They're all we're waiting for now, which means we're one step closer to setting off on our mission.

"We should head into the other room so that we're ready for when they arrive," Justin says, taking my hand and leading me into the dining room with Beck, Jess and Devlin following behind.

Upon entering the room, it's easy to see that this is no normal Pack meeting, it's way too disorganised. Instead of everyone sitting around patiently, most people are standing all scattered around the room, and there's hardly much order as they all mutter to each other and cause a quiet murmur to spread throughout the room. Although people have quietened down a bit more now it's obvious that they're nowhere near calm, which is totally understandable.

"Justin, what are we going to do, man?" someone asks, walking over to us when he spots us at the back of the room, and I recognise him to be Ricky Jones. "We've got a plan, right? My parents are completely flipping out."

"Yes, we've got a plan," Justin replies, appearing calm when I know that inside he's probably flipping out too. "I've got to wait until everyone arrives first, though. We need to bring some order back into everyone."

"How exactly are we supposed to do that?" I ask, glancing around the room at everyone as they stand about in a nervous frenzy.

"I don't know, that's usually mum's forte," he admits, looking around the room as well.

Well, great. Okay.

"Maybe we should go around and talk to people individually whilst we wait for the others," I suggest with a small shrug. "If we calm them down one by one then they might listen to us more."

"Okay," Justin agrees, looking around the room until he spots Dean and Amy stood off to one side. Quickly making his way over to the two, he asks them to take the left side of the room whilst we take the right, before pulling me over to a pair of mates that are obviously wondering what the hell's going on. I don't know them, personally, but I'm pretty sure their names are Milly and Fred. We help to calm them down a bit, answering any questions they have to the best of our ability, before moving onto the next people. For the next few minutes we answer the same questions over and over again, trying to get people to understand that we're not purposefully trying to keep them in the dark.

"Where's David?"

"Upstairs recovering."

"Where's Wendy?"

"Upstairs with dad."

"Will Wendy be fighting still?"

"Yes, but she's staying with dad until we have to go."