Chapter 21

Carter POV

Cam happily let the whole baby subject go thankfully. I knew he was upset on my decision to not do anything about but, I just felt like it wouldn't be the same. I know there are other ways but what woman wouldn't want to experience that at least once.

I wanted a little boy or girl running around hopefully looking like him or mixed with the both of us. But, I didn't want to sit and dwell on this too. I knew it was hurting him. I didn't want him ashamed of who he was because of this. I accepted him and loved him. If I couldn't have just this then... it is what it is. Can't have everything.

I shook my head pushing it aside. I wasn't going to focus on that anymore. I had to move on and get back to me. Get back to us. We deserved it.

He had to take care of some business so I just wandered around the house till I saw someone. It was Harry in the study reading concentrating. I never really spoke to Harry besides when he was Sarah or Cam but, he was cool. I had nothing negative to say about him from what I knew. But then again, I didn't know much.

I walked towards the room seeing his head in a huge book and before I could knock, he spoke "Come in Carter" he chuckled looking up. I just smiled walking in and froze for second seeing all the books around before sitting down across from him quietly "What are you reading?" I asked looking at the big wondering what had him so focused "Book about vampire theories" he said smiling.

"Cool. Where is everyone? Sarah?" I asked looking at one of the books. "Probably enjoying this nice day unlike you" he joked making me roll my eyes. Yeah he and Sarah were a match made in heaven. Loves picking on people.

"There's nothing to do so I'll just wait until Cam comes back to do something. Sarah's not even here to bother" I pouted and he laughed.

"She'll be back soon. Went shopping for a few things. You know she would have taken you but, she didn't want t-" "No... it's okay. I was... just upset about something but, everything is fine now" I whispered smiling.

"You sure?" he asked skeptically and I just nodded smiling. "Alright then... How's the love life?" He asked smiling and I giggled. What could I say about Cam other than "Perfect" I smiled thinking about him. "What about you and Sarah?" He smiled like it was just a crush "Same"

I leaned in holding my head on my shoulder excited to know about them together "How long have you been together?" I asked and he chuckled. "Next month it will exactly 169 years" My mouth dropped. Oh my gosh "Really? How has it been?" I asked excited.

He took a deep breath thinking for a second then, looked at me with a cheeky dimpled grin "Wouldn't trade it for the world. We have our ups and downs but, I love her unconditionally" I smiled in awe thinking about them.

"How did you meet?" I asked and instantly regretted it. It seemed to be a touchy subject to him. He looked down and sighed "Umm,.. well.." He swallowed hard "I.. was a druggie. Homeless, suicidal man and... she found me" I frowned but he smiled.

He shrugged leaning back in the chair " I planned on jumping over a bridge when she found me and I instantly fell in love with her. Once I found her, death didn't matter" I always wondered how they met and I wondered how they became vampires.

"So you were human?" I asked surprised it was him but, he nodded. "I wanted her to change me" He stated and I nodded waiting for him to continue. "I had the chance to be with the woman I love for eternity and I took it. Don't regret anything about it either" he stated with pride and I smiled amazed.

I love them together.

"I think that is so sweet... you guys are perfect together" "I know" he said proudly and we laughed rolling my eyes looking around.

"But.. it seems we have competition" he stated making me look at him confused. Competition? "Who?" He just smiled and I got what he meant but, I couldn't agree. Ours was amazing but theirs... it was perfect. "Me and Cam? No, I don't think so it's-"

He closed the book smiling at me and shaking his head "Just because you guys had a rough start doesn't make your love bad. I think it makes it better. I know you have some differences but, just like us, you make it work" he reassured and I looked down with a small smile.

"I know it's hard being with a vampire, but it's worth it" "Till I'm old and die" I mumbled closing my eyes and leaning back in my chair. "He can change that" he stated making my eyes go wide in shock but curiosity too. The thought of actually being part of it.... being with him forever.

I bit my lip thinking. Me a vampire? Never aging? Living forever? Drinking blood? I couldn't see it. I sat back up to see him waiting for the question "But...what happens if I stay human and I die?" He wasn't expecting that one.

He frowned, swallowed hard then looked down at the book trying to come up with something. But, that only made me more nervous.

Of course, I loved us and I didn't want to put any negativity or bring problems to us but, it was inevitable. I was a human and he was a vampire. He was immortal and I was a fragile human. The time would eventually come where aging will become a problem and soon enough I would pass.

What I needed to know was what would happen to him.

"He moves on right?" He opened his mouth to speak but closed it staying in silence. "Harry?" I asked even more nervous now.. "There are myths and stories but, I don't know for sure" he said. "About?" He took a deep breath leaning back still not looking at me.

"After a vampire loses their mate, they become depressed, some insane.." He wouldn't make eye contact at all and it made me even more scared and I had a reason too.

"They kill themselves" he whispered. My heart dropped to my stomach with tears already starting to form. He wouldn't-. "D-do you think he..." I trailed off and tears started to fall when he closed his eyes taking a deep breath.

"Carter, he loves you more than anything. He w-" I hurried out the room not wanting to hear anything else.