Chapter 19

RAHUL

I was shocked, bewildered, shaken and almost at the edge of getting a heart attack when Alya's calm and composed voice filled the halls. My brain stopped functioning and I was completely at loss.

Physically Mentally Emotionally

This can't happen. How can my own sister turn her back against me. I know that I am not a saint. I have committed sins, hideous ones but never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that Alya can do something to me.

"Alya.....why are you doing this?", my voice faltered and broke as I fought my tears.

"I have reasons little brother, but before we discuss any further I would like to have a face to face chat.", her words floated through the narrow corridor as six guards made their appearance. They pulled and dragged all three of us. We descended through the stairs and reached a larger and wider space. The room was dimly lit and there was a single chair. Except it the whole room was vacant. The guards hauled us to the ground and tied plastic straps on our wrists and ankles.

My brain was yet to start its normal functions and I was in darkness. I couldn't place a single thing that could make my sister against me. The whole world may hurt me, betray me leave me alone but my sister can't. I believed it, I trusted her. But yet again, life smacked reality on my face.

As I struggled to keep up with the situation Alya's sweet yet cold greeting made my senses alert. I stared straight into her eyes trying to figure through the hard core of pretence that maybe there was something more to it. Maybe she is being forced to do it. But nothing. All I could see was my unfeeling strong ruthless sister. The sister of a gang leader.

"Hey guys", Alya responded taking her seat on the chair and I could sense Manik and Nandini stiffen beside me. I knew I had to get them out of the mess that had been created and that I can't get flowed by my emotions now. I need to save Nandini and Manik.

I focused my attention to the plastic strap that was binding my wrist. They were the normal ones that we frequently use during kidnapping cases. The thin iron blade at the back pocket of my jeans can take me out of those things. I stealthily took out the blunt blade and started rubbing the plastic. I just need some time and the rest will be done by friction.

I shifted my glance to Alya and then finally I had the courage to speak up to her.

"Why are you doing this Alya?", I asked as coldly I could not letting my former senses falter my tone. I need to be tough.

"I just got hand into a gold mine, little brother. I was tired of doing the small odd jobs of drugs that you had been taking since a year, it barely provided the gang to survive. The moment you fired the bullet through Jake's skull your fire died. The very second you knew that the killer of our parents was dead, you were a gone. The craze was not there in you....anymore. But I am not a spoil sport like you. I loved being bad ass, striking knifes into others back and so did you. 

I flinched as she mentioned the very words that I never wanted Nandini to know. My head zapped towards her and she was staring at me with an unfathomable emotions. And I wished that I should have never kept this secret from her.

"She is lying right, Rahul?", she asked in a meek voice and that made my insides burn out of guilt. I could deny the allegations that my sister shared against me cause I know they were true.

The murder of my parents had bursted the seed of the monster and freed it. As me and Alya were thrown into the foster care, where even a glass of water needs a fight, I changed. The struggle made me selfish and ruthless. It took away feeling like kindness politeness from me and left a bunch of hatred and anger.

Gradually I drifted into the gang and from then it started, the dark phase of my life. It started with small drug transfers but with time I was acquainted with the more deadlier jobs, kidnaps murders. Money that was now a easy to get. I learnt I had a new face to add myself. I always felt an amazing feel whenever I made people suffer. It gave me a satisfaction that I am not the only one who was tackled roughly by life.

In about 2 years I ascended to the post of the gang leader and soon with the connections I traced out James. The killer of my parents. It gave me peace and the earlier passion and fire diminished, which eventually died the moment Nandini walked into my life.

"I am sorry", I whispered slowly. Nandini stared at me for a while minute and then finally turned down her head. I knew she gave up on me and I broke.

"Nandu, I am sorry", I spoke again, but this time she didn't turn her head.

Alya's cell buzzed and she picked up the call. As she spoke on the mobile I could see her lips dry up and she gulped. Guilt flashed across her eyes but she was fast enough to hide it and get back her earlier composure.

She gave a slight nod and then hung up.

"Sorry boys need to fasten things up.", Alya stood up and adjusted the gun in her hands. She left her chair and started walking in Nandini's direction.

"Stop, Alya please stop...please stop..", I shouted pleaded but she turned a deaf ear. I started rubbing the plastic faster hoping it would break off.

I froze the moment Alya raised her gun and the sound of the bullet leaving through the nozzle made my world stop. Nandini closed her eyes and dipped her head in the nook of her shoulders waiting for the inevitable.

But in that split second Manik plunged in front of Nandini throwing his body to shield her. The bullet pierced his broad shoulders as he winced collapsing on Nandini's lap.

The plastic broke off and my hands freed. Anger betrayal hatred took over me as I attacked Alya. The basic senses of a human evaporated from me and I got transformed into some else. Before I could contemplate what I am doing I pulled the trigger and the shot fired straight into my sister's heart.

Instantly she dropped dead on the floor.

I killed again.

I killed my sister.