Finals: Axelle Haumann

From the moment she had arrived at Danu, Axelle had held onto a numerous amount of objects, each holding it's own meaning. First, her cellphone. It was a symbol of home, of all the things she left behind. Soon after it died, she found the scrap of red fabric, symbolizing all that she had found. Then the rope- everything she wanted, and a means to achieve it.

Now, the slip of paper resting in her hands gave her a chance that combined all three meanings. A chance that she knew she would never see again. A chance that, a month ago, she would have killed for. A chance to go home. Back to Earth, free of charge.

All she had to do was sign her name neatly at the bottom and hand the slip back to the kind lady in front of her.

Home.

Earth.

She could go back to Europe, spend the Summer at the beach, having photoshoots almost everyday. She would see all her friends, fans, and family on a regular basis. Life would be like a party, free of strife and any hardship. Everything would be just the way it was before she ever agreed to come on this damned trip, the only difference being that she would be twice as famous. People would worship her even more because she came back from deep space, almost died, and became friends with creatures on this planet.

Fans would scream when she walked down the runway, waving posters in the air. She would finally be on camera again, surrounded by spotlights and makeup artists ready to correct even the slightest mistake. Hair stylists and fashion designers would dote upon her, begging her to try out their lastest style invention, and she would agree- for the right price.

She would continue being rich and famous and get everything she ever dreamed of, and more.

But something about the thought of going home didn't strike Axelle as right. Sure, she missed the lights and glamour, and she knew there wasn't a single thing she would miss on Danu- well, maybe she would miss the moonbeams- but still something was drawing her into the planet. Something seemed to be calling out to her, begging her to stay.

Danu.

Her home was Earth. That was where she was born, raised, and every important detail of her life occurred on Earth. That was where she was from. But what if home wasn't where she was from, but where she was meant to be. She knew she had come to Danu for a reason, but what if that reason hasn't come about yet, and she was meant to still stay.

The pen pressed deeper into the paper, her thoughts itching to make their way out. There was no way she could form them into words, though, and it's not like anyone would understand her even if she could.

Staying on Danu would be hard. She would have to farm her own crops, collect water, make sure everything was running properly, and conduct science experiments. She would have to watch out for new diseases and creatures, fending for her life the whole time.

But she would have others doing the same thing right along side of her.

Axelle was accepted here, and in a fuller and more complete way than she had ever been on Earth. On Danu, she was something. She wasn't just an airhead bitchy model. At least, not anymore. She wasn't a face who blended into a crowd. She wasn't a face that others lusted for, either. She was a leader, a friend, a hero. She mattered in a way she never could've hoped for on Earth. And she had people who cared about her for more than just her body, hair, or face.

She belonged on Danu, not on Earth.

Axelle's pen sat poised on the slip of paper, black ink welling in a pool at the place of contact. She knew it would be easier to just sign her name and leave, go back to the easy life of a model who practically lived on the beach. It didn't matter where she belonged, not as long as money, fame, and glitter were concerned. Living on Danu would be hard, and life on Earth would be easier than anything Axelle had ever done. It dropped down, dragging the ink with it, forming a neat and perfect 'A.'

But Danu was her new home, and nothing could ever change that.

She lifted the pen off the paper and handed it back to the lady, quickly frowning at the small letter she had left.

"I'm sorry, but I've found that Danu has kind of grown on me. I wish you best of luck on your travels back to Earth, though," Axelle smiled. She never thought words like that would ever come out of her mouth.

The lady with the sign-up sheet smiled in return, "I wish you best of luck on Danu as well, goodbye Miss Haumann. It was nice knowing you."

She turned and walked away, returning to the group readying itself for departure. Axelle watched half of the inhabitants of Eden board the shuttle, getting ready to return to Earth. They shuffled along, only one or two looking back at the planet they were about to leave. Most of them were giddy, practically running as they hurried to board the ship, almost like they were scared they would be left behind if they weren't quick enough. Less than two months ago, Axelle would have been right up there with the rest of the group, pushing her way to the front and taking the very first seat she saw. If she didn't get on, she would have killed any person there and take their spot. She would have done anything to go back home.

Now, she was glad to see them go.

Some of the ones who looked back waved 'goodbye' to Axelle, wishing her well. Others looked shocked when they realized that she wasn't going to be returning with them, and quickly averted their gaze to the shuttle in front of them. Most stared ahead the entire time, never even noticing her standing there, beaming smile on her face.

Now, she was comfortable enough with her surroundings to not care that she wasn't noticed.

Because she was home- safe and sound- and that was all that mattered.