Chapter 12 - So what if the kitten likes a bit of heavy petting?

Rex leaned down, but as his face started inching closer to her own Evie ducked under his arm.

"Where do you think you're going?" Rex mocked as he grabbed her by the arm, stopping her attempt to flee the room.

She was terrified. The last time she'd been alone with this man had been one of the most traumatic moments she'd ever experienced. Not only had she been humiliated and violated, but some part of her had enjoyed the way he'd treated her. The only way she'd been able to cope with this had been to bury the memory entirely.

"I told you that I'm going to prove it," He warned.

"Please don't," She choked, tugging against his hold.

He yanked her forward, spinning her around and pushing her up against the table. The loud crash of an empty bottle smashing to pieces drowned out the unimpressed shushing sound he made. He lifted her to sit on the table and roughly pushed his body between her legs.

He ran his calloused fingers over her thigh, before lifting her leg to wrap around his hip. His large hand pinned her leg against him, while the other rested around her throat.

She squeezed her eyes shut, she was so tired of being scared.

She wanted to disappear.

Focusing on her deep breathing, she willed her conscious mind to switch off.

Rex watched her closely, intrigued.

Her body had become limp against him. Not only was she no longer struggling, but it was also almost as though she had fallen asleep. He slowly removed his hand from around her neck and gently trailed his fingers up along her jawline, to tuck a stray piece of hair behind her ear.

She felt the gentle caress and unintentionally leaned into his touch. He leaned down and placed a single soft kiss on one side of her neck, while he lightly trailed a path with his fingers down the other.

His hand returned to rest around her throat. Her lips parted as he squeezed, releasing a quiet moan.

The sound caused her eyes to open and stare up at him.

"Told you," he said smugly.

She stared at him in absolute disbelief as he put some distance between them.

"I don't like being told that I'm wrong when I know for a fact that I'm right," He stated, "Actually," he continued while reaching for his cigarettes, "I don't like being told that I'm wrong, regardless." He laughed.

She hung her head as the shock started to wear off and the guilt started to seep in.

"Naww, come on now. What's the big deal?" he asked. "So what if the kitten likes a bit of heavy petting?"

She couldn't see his face but could visualise the sarcastic grin he was sure to be flashing her.

"I know what'll cheer you up," he chirped. "Let's play a game."

She slowly lifted her head and glanced at the door. She immediately realised that he would thoroughly enjoy chasing her. When her eyes met his, his grin confirmed her suspicion.

She hesitated. "I'm afraid to ask.. but what kind of game?"

"It's a new game called find the kitty!"

"The kitty being.." the jingle of the bell around her neck alerted her to the obvious.

Shit.

"Me," she stated quietly.

"Bang on," he confirmed while pouring himself a drink.

"Now, rules of the game." He downed the drink and wiped his face. "Don't try and escape. Trust me when I say it won't work and will only piss me off." He stared at her to make his point. "Royally."

Her hands were sweating, she'd already been mentally running through possible exits she could try.

"Final rule, don't even think about trying to find a weapon. Granted, that one time you tried smashing Branny boy's face in with a shoe was hilarious! Just don't pull that shit with me."

"He told you about that?"

He shook his head. "Nope. I had a front-row seat."

He lit another cigarette and she watched as he blew the smoke out slowly. "I can see everything he does," he admitted smugly. "Luckily for me, he doesn't have the same luxury."

She wiped her sweaty palms on her jeans. "About the game, I have a condition."

His mouth twitched as though he were fighting a smirk. "Humour me."

"If you can't find me in 10 minutes, you have to grant me one request."
He looked at her as though she had two heads. "The request can't be related to my freedom," she added.

This seemed to catch his interest. "And what if I do find you in 10 minutes? What do I get?"

"I'll grant you a request." At the sight of his deviant expression, she immediately clarified. "As long as it doesn't involve sex, drugs, or violence."

"Awww, all the good stuff!" He pouted. "You're no fun."

"Do we have a deal?"

Rex flashed her his usual one-sided smirk. "Let's play."