Time Will Tell

It was a stupid idea to head towards my old home, I knew all the furniture was gone and the only thing left was some of my stuff I hadn't moved to my dorm yet.
When I open the door and see the baldness of the house, a cold shiver runs through my body. It's as if my childhood has been completely wiped away. I walk over to the stairs and consider going up to my old room, maybe I still have some blankets between my stuff.

But no, instead I just slide down the wall and clutch onto my backpack as I finally realize what I did today. I broke up with Chloe because she was dating Rachel while dating me... even in my head it sounds stupid and impossible. I never thought Chloe would lie to me like that, and I can't believe I'm even thinking this, but - poor Rachel. I hit her in the face because I truly believed her and Chloe were never an item.

I take my cellphone from my pocket and see that I have 13 missed calls, and a dozen text messages from Chloe.
I ignore all of them and scroll through my contacts until I find Rachel Amber with a gun emoji next to it. I don't know why I still have her number but I guess it is a good thing in this case.
I wipe away my tears and try to speak normally before calling Rachel, then I finally press the call button and it starts ringing.

"Max?" Rachel utters my name in an angry confused voice.

"Yeah I... I wanted to apologize," I finally spit out.
Even though I couldn't see Rachel I knew that she would be raising her eyebrows from disbelief at this point.

"For the punch?"

"Yeah, sort of, and the fact that I didn't believe you when you called Chloe out for cheating... she never told me you guys were a thing."

Rachel scoffs and answers.

"We were a "thing" for almost 6 months and you didn't notice?"
Rachel's icy tone makes me regret calling her, I almost want to take my apology back. Maybe she did deserve a well-aimed fist to the jaw, for being a bitch in general.

"No, I didn't notice Rachel. Whenever I asked if she liked you she would say you two were nothing more than friends... but you can have her. Chloe and I aren't even that anymore, have fun."

"You really think I would want to get back with her, after what she did to me? Get over yourself Caulfield, Chloe isn't worth shit to me."
It takes some time for me to find an appropriate answer, and when I finally have one, Rachel speaks instead.

"So, you call me just to say you and Chloe are done and I could have her?"

"I guess."

Rachel starts mockingly laughing at me.

"Wow, this is just gold, yeah no. I mean you basically ate my leftovers and now you are asking me to eat the leftover of the leftovers. It's funny as hell really."
I pinch the bridge of my nose irritated by how this conversation is going horribly wrong.

"Whatever Rachel, I guess you still got Jefferson and Frank. Chloe might be a liar but you are a grade-A slut. Bye."
And with that I hung up. It wasn't as if I was planning to become best friends with her anyways. I just wanted to apologize, but she shit all over me. So I got mad.

A knock on the door startles me, but I know who it is so I immediately rush to the door and open it.
Somewhere deep down, I hoped it was a certain blue haired girl, but I am happier to see Kate standing in front of me instead.
The first thing Kate does is pull me in for a hug.

"Are you ok?" she whispers.

I wrap my arms around her and let go of the tears I was holding back during the phone call with Rachel.

"Honestly... no."

My voice breaks down and Kate keeps me in her soft embrace, rubbing her hand in circles on my back to try and comfort me.

"Do you want to sit and talk about it?" she asks softly.
I nod while wiping away my tears and we both sit down against the wall overlooking my empty old home.

"I'm so sorry for letting you come all the way down here when I don't even have decent chairs," I joke to lighten the mood.

"It's ok, Max."
She puts her arm around my shoulder and I lean into her neck.

"I dumped Chloe," finally I manage to get over my lips. Saying those words aloud just made the event reality.

"What... why?"
Kate asks as she wipes away one of my tears.

I tell Kate everything, about Rachel, about the lies and even my stupid attempt to apologize to Rachel.

"I can't imagine how heartbroken you must be. Do you want to sleep over in my dorm tonight, and watch one of those slasher movies you like so much?"

"That sounds amazing Kate... thank you, really."
She takes me in for another hug and I enjoy this little moment of peace.

I can always rely on Kate no matter the situation. She's always there for me. God, she even skipped class to come over and talk to my sorry ass. I owe her so much, and someday I will repay her. I just don't know how yet.

"Come on, let's get off this dirty floor and head back," Kate suggests and I agree with her decision.

Maybe a night with Kate will make me feel better and help me think of a plan to deal with Chloe. Despite the lies, I can't just throw away our friendship but I don't know if I will ever trust her with my heart again.

I guess time will reveal if we are meant to be.