Horrible

"GUTTEN MORGEN, HI~NA~TA~CHAN!" Momiji boomed over the phone. I held it an inch away with a frown.

"What."

"Haaah so cold. I just got frostbite." He whined.

"Momiji, you're beginning to sound like Shigure." I reprimanded.

"Oh my, no!" He cried.

"Uh huh. Well I'm just going to go back to bed."

"Wha-no!" Momiji shouted.

"Why are you waking me up at 5 in the morning?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"I'm outside your door."

"That is really creepy but not my question." I wrinkled my nose as I got up, locked the door, and went back to my position.

"To see the sunrise!" He said cheerfully before my doorknob jiggled.

"Hah? Hina-chan you locked the door?!?" He whined.

"Yes." I deadpanned.

"Waaaaah! Hinaaaaataaaaaa!"

"Shut your fluffy face. I'm tired."

"My face is not fluffy." He said irritably.

"What's wrong with having a fluffy face?" I pondered in amusement.

"Hiiiiiiiinnnnnnnaaaaaaataaaaaaaaa."

"Why don't you study? Heaven knows you need it."

"How cruel!!"

I rolled my eyes and hid the tiny smile away with my pillow.

"Let's compromise! We go to the spot and study while we are there!"

I tilted my head before sighing and getting up. I was already awake. Might as well go.

I'm going for platonic reasons. Only studying. That's it. Don't overthink this you stupid heart.

I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and fingered my shoulder length hair. Usually I would be due to cut my hair, but this time I think I would grow it out.

I opened my door to find the usual fashionista Momiji with bunny ears sticking out of his head and eyes sparkling.

I gave him a halfhearted dirty look and slammed my fist on his head.

"Why are you so abusive?!?" He whined girlishly.

Jeez I was lucky Tohru and the others went on a double date.

"Ooh~! Joining Tohru, Yuki, Kyo, and Kagura on a date~?"

I forgot about Shigure.

I gave him a frosty glare and trailed behind the steadily growing boy.

He was now 5'4 and I was 5'3. We now actually looked like short freshmen and not elementary kids.

"Oopsie~! We better hurry!" Momiji beamed and tugged my hand along at a faster pace yet still slow enough not to kick up an attack.

I smiled at the consideration and squeezed his hand in a silent thank you.

He looked back and grinned openly, the kind of smile I liked the most. Unrestrained and sincere.

We walked through the trees, the dark sky giving way to a grayish blue color.

"Almost there!" Momiji cried in determination.

Sure enough, we burst through the clearing just as the sun began to peek through. We sat at our usual ledge. We came at least once every month.

Our hands were still connected.

I didn't object, the warmth was welcomed. The softness comforting. And the mere presence soothing.

It was wrong.

It was so terribly wrong to feel this way.

I was a horrible person.

I knew what would happen if I fell too hard.

Yet
I
Just
Couldn't
Let
Go.

The very thought scared me. I never wanted to let go. It was so terribly selfish of me. But the very thought of pushing him away, hurt. I knew I was being silly. I was 15 for goodness sake! What did I know about these feelings?

I felt the tears rise in my eyes, I quickly wiped them away in hopes the subject of my thoughts wouldn't see but he was too observant for his own good.

"Hey, what's wrong Heart Girl?" He asked worriedly.

"Nothing," I choked out with a watery smile,"I'm just thinking about the future." And how I might ruin it for you.

"Don't worry, we'll worry about that when it comes and figure it out. Together. We are a team after all. You are Heart Girl," he started with a twinkle in his brown eyes.

"You are Bunny Boy," I chuckled with mirth.

"And together we'll take on the world." We finished together as he slung his arm around my shoulders with a beaming smile.

I was horrible.

I was selfish.

I was wrong.

But I couldn't let go.

For that, I should burn in hell.