Chapter Two

Word Count: 1881

~Mara

I feel myself coming to, my eyes naturally opening. But I am immersed in darkness, which throws me off balance for a moment.

Where am I?

I instantly can tell that I am tied to something, whatever binds me digging deeply into my wrists. So I take a deep breath, trying to gather my wits.

I have been kidnapped. I know that much. By who, and why I still can't grasp quite yet. I have an idea of who has done this at the back of my mind, but I can't address it yet, because it is so horrific to even think about.

I am sitting on a chair, in a cold room. I try to concentrate on my surroundings, but all I can think about is the feeling of someone watching me.

I pull at the restraints a little harder, but it is worthless. I am stuck fast, with even my feet tied to the legs of the chair. There is no way out, I just have to wait.

Suddenly the sound of footsteps echo throughout the room. I freeze, cringing.

Someone is in this room with me. Right now.

I don't struggle, I just remain still. I listen closely to the footsteps, trying to gauge whereabouts the sound is coming from, and where this person is situated in the room. They are close to me, I can feel it, and hear it.

Breathing in deeply, I close my eyes, considering saying something. But saying something wouldn't get me out of here. Whoever kidnapped me has a reason...I just need to find out what that reason is.

A sudden, thick silence fills the room. The footsteps have ceased, and I begin to feel my heart start to pick up pace again. I like to think that I am quite smart. I have always been the one in the Pack to consider things before I actually do them.

So having all my senses toyed with like this, is making me more than uneasy...

"Lock your doors," a soft voice whispers in my left ear.

I jump, twisting my head around as though I could see who is behind me. I can't; everything is immersed in complete darkness. 

"Hold them tight," the voice whisper again, this time in my right ear. The voice belongs to a man. It's soft and raspy, like nothing I have heard before. Whoever this kidnapper might be, I definitely don't know them.

"Close your windows," the voice repeats, this time right in front of my face. I struggle in my binds, squeezing my eyes shut. Fear has exploded and consumed my entire body.

A finger is dragged down my cheek. Soft feeling, but the pressure he uses is opposite. "Every night."

"Don't go out, in case he's there," the voice continues, sounding further away now. I want to scream in terror. I want to lash out. I want to run. But I am frozen in fear. I couldn't move, even if I was standing in a the room with no restraints.

The sound of the loud footsteps draw closer, until they stop right in front of me. I can't explain the terrible feeling of knowing someone who could potentially end your life is standing right in front of you, but you can't do anything about it.

"Always live in total fear."

I gasp, as I feel his warm breath against my face. He is undeniably close to me.

And through all this fright, it dawns on me what he is chanting. This soft, deadly melodic voice is reciting the exact poem that has been drilled into my head by my parents and teachers since I was a young girl.