Twenty One

Vote and comment

Cameron POV

I walked out of the dentist feeling weird. It was awkward to not have anything sitting on top of my teeth, but also exciting because I had them in for about 2 1/2 years. I think it was way past time to say goodbye to those.

"How do you feel Cam?" My dad asked.

"Feels weird, but I'm happy they're gone." I said.

I felt my dad still staring at me after I finished responding. I turned to look at him.

"Cameron, you know that I love you more than anything." He said.

"Yes I know, you only tell me every day." I laughed while we got in the car.

"Yeah, well I'm just happy to have such a well behaved, amazing son." He said which made me blush.

"Thank you." I smiled.

"But I need to be completely honest." He said which changed my whole mood. It was clear that some bad feedback was coming up.

"I'm worried about you being with that boy all he time.. Now before you get mad at me know it's only because I love you."

"Why? There's nothing wrong with him." I asked getting defensive.

"No, there isn't. But what I don't like is the smoking, the out in the streets late nights..." He trailed off. "That's not you Cameron. And I don't want you to be in the wrong place at the wrong time with him and something happen to you."

"So what are you trying to tell me? You want me to not communicate with him anymore? You want me to keep my distance from him ?" I asked.

"No Cameron," he sighed "I just don't want you to get too caught up with him that you neglect your own safety. It would just be suggested that you lay off him a bit."

"But that's practically impossible daddy, because well—" he cut me off.

"I know, I know you don't have to tell me. Your mother is terrible at hiding things. And so are you." He chuckled. "Just be safe, for me, okay? And I want to meet him. So we could have a proper man to man conversation. Deal?"

"Deal. Hey, uh, I have a question." I said.

"Shoot."

"Since you and mom are sooooo in love or whatever," I started and he smiled " why don't you guys give me a sibling?" His smile dropped.

"We really don't have the space for that. Or time."

"Pleeeeeasse." I begged. I always wanted to have a sibling. He looked at me seriously.

"Cam, I think it's time you should know. Come here." He put his arm around me shoulder and looked at me.

"We weren't going to tell you until later but, just listen to me. A few—"

Right when he was about to get into it my phone rang. I looked down at the unknown number. I picked it up.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Cameron?" I heard a voice say.

"Yeah, this is cameron."

"Yeah, uh, this is Anthony's sibling's father. He told me to call you and uh.. yeah." He said.

"Okay, call me for what?"

"Um well he's in the hospital right now– before you get wild, he's okay. Just a few bullets to the shoulder and abdomen so uh, no need to freak out. So he wants you to come and see him."