12

T W E L V E

As Celia shifted her gaze towards the sky, a blanket of silence settled over the both of us. One of peace and serenity. She was hurting, yearning the loss of her friend. Though no one would truly know how much pain she was in because she normally replaces it with a bubbly smile. She shields away that pain and keeps it pent up inside... just as I do with my parents. Years has passed on but the thought of them both still made my heart flutter with overwhelming sadness.

"Her name was Delanie. She was more so shy and reserved but had such a free spirit." At the thought of Delanie, Celia smiled. Resting her cheek in the palm of her hand as she looked to me and away from the stars. "I knew there was something special about her. As did Mr. and Mrs. Petrovic. I'm not sure what they wanted or what they happen to see that I could not." Shaking her head, Celia soon frowned. "They took her from me. They forced her hand and since the last sundown ritual I haven't seen her since. It was like she just disappeared... vanished. The one girl that I truly ever loved gone... just like that."

Loved? As Celia mentioned this is hit me like a smack to the face. Delanie was not just her friend but her lover. The one person, other then Alice, that she'd turn too for emotional support or a shoulder to lean on.

I could never relate to the pain of losing someone that has managed to grab ahold of my heart, but I understood.

"Does Alice and Mischa know of this?"

Wiping away a loose tear that slipped down the path of her cheek, Celia shook her head. "I wanted to tell them... but I was afraid of what they'd say; what they may think." Sighing, she turned her gaze down towards her hand as she fiddled with her fingers. "I wasn't exactly sure myself of what was happening or if what I was feeling was truly there. But after sometime I've come to accept myself for who I am."

"As you should be." Smiling, I gently placed my hand over her shoulder. "I'm happy that you've decided to share this with me."

It may not have answered any of the questions that were cramming together in my head, and it may not have gotten me any step closer to figuring out what truly was going on in this household or with this family... but it was step towards friendship. A step towards building that bridge of trust between the two of us.

"So..." Smiling, I pulled the cover tighter around my body. Leaning my back against the haystack as I looked to Celia. "Tell me more about Delanie."

***

Today was the day that Darius would be returning home.

All morning we've been rushing about, preparing for his arrival. While Alice and Celia worked on cleaning the kitchen and prepping a meal; me and Mischa worked on cleaning the house from top to bottom. Upon the request of Mrs. Lucilla of course. Who from my understanding wanted everything to be perfect.

I'm not sure what it was, but her and Mr. Petrovic seemed to be in an overly good mood today. Which wasn't a bad thing, but it did seem a little odd. I had even expected Alec to be the same, but bumping into him earlier this morning I could tell that he was a little upset and unsettled.

"Could you take these sheets down to the washroom and bring me new ones?" Holding a basket full o bunched up cloth was Mischa herself. She was wearing an ivory gown, her hair spewed into a messy bun.

As I finished dusting off the dresser, I  slowly nodded my head. "Sure."

Surprisingly Mischa and I were getting along this morning. She hasn't said anything snippy or gave me a look that could nearly kill... well not yet anyway. I wanted to trust that me and Mischa could get along just as me, Celia, and Alice have but I wasn't going to put anything past her. Due to her sudden change of attitude towards me off the act of her feelings, she's made me feel weary around her.