forty six

im crying

justin

i completely freaked out when his machine went off. audrey bursted into tears which caused me to shed a few but i stop panicking when i realized nothing was happening, but his eyes were opening. audrey was in my chest crying. "baby, look."

she shook her head.

todd's eyes opened and looked directly at me then they widened. he tried to talk but nothing came out so i turned audrey around who stopped crying and rushed next to the bed. "todd..." she grabs his hand.

a smile raised on his face then lifted his arm to point at me. just as he did, the doctor bursted in, the breathed out in relief. "his monitor went crazy because he woke up in such a shock. and we still haven't done the rib surgery so we need to turn up the oxygen a little."

he did what he did, then audrey turned to him. "why can't he talk?"

"he's adjusting, he'll be able to talk in a couple of minutes. his eyesight is just is adjusting too." the doctor explains. "where are your parents?"

"on their way." she says.

the doctor excuses himself, me and audrey standing there. after a minute of an awkward stare down, todd finally spoke. "w-what are you here for?" he looks at me.

"for audrey." i say simply.

"i thought-"

he was cut off by reece, andre, and my parents coming into the room. first thing mom did was hug him. even though this is my first time talking to todd, i was intimidated by him.

+

the next day, we went back to visit todd. he's recently recovering from he survey or whatever to fix his broken ribs. he's up but doesn't have enough strength to actually get up and walk around. "will todd hate me?" i question, looking at audrey.

"probably." she shrugs. "he's overprotective of me, he's been like that since we were younger. but he can't really do anything he's not even strong enough to lift his arms."

i just nod. reece already gave his blessing that i didn't ask for, andre doesn't seem to really care. her father and her other brother seemed to not like me for some reason. todd literally ask me why am i here, that's not friendly.

when we walked in, todd looked at us. "i came off rude to you, you just ... weren't you two just broken up? and you were with that white girl?"

"todd, i love you and missed you but shut up." audrey walked to him and gave him a hug.

"sorry sis, just looking out for ya."

she rolls her eyes. "what happened to you?"

"i was listening to the radio and it was malfunctioning and i was trying to fix it and i didn't see the truck." he shrugs. "im fine but no offense to anyone, can i talk to audrey alone?"

uhm, okay ...

-----

he's not dead !