2:08

| THE STAND:
CHAPTER EIGHT |

"You made him, right? Tristan?" Hayley had asked Elijah that same night, the pair had taken to conversing from their respective balconies.

"I think it would be more accurate to say that we made each other, but yes. I turned him. What was your impression of Tristan de Martel?" He could already tell that Hayley didn't like him, but he was curious what she actually thought of the first of his sire line.

Hayley shrugged, "I don't know.. He seemed, incomplete."

"That could be down to one of two reasons. The first being, he has a sister, Aurora— to be perfectly frank with you, I'm surprised that he's without her. His devotion to her is absolutely pathological, it's dangerous."

Hayley smiled weakly, "Loyalty doesn't make people dangerous, Elijah.. And the second reason?"

Elijah sighed, "Tristan is a master manipulator and he absolutely cannot stand when he doesn't get what he wants. His obsession with Rhea is absolutely lethal and he blames my family for the two of them not remaining together. I'm afraid he may lead her into a darkness that she may not be able to shake, because as much as she is in love with Kol, her long buried feelings for Tristan could lead her to all the wrong decisions."

Hayley shook her head, "Rhea is strong, Elijah. Stronger than you give her credit for." And with that, she was gone, and Elijah was left with nothing but the sounds of his own thoughts.

▽▲▽▲▽

Rhea had awoken to an empty apartment, all trace of Ares gone— it pained her to a degree, but she would not grovel. She would not forget his words, and she was not sure she would forgive anytime soon. Davina had left her a text message, wishing her well and promised that the two of them would spend some time together soon— she had some witchy business to attend to today.

Tristan had also text her, asking her to accompany him to breakfast at everyone's favourite restaurant, Rousseau's.

"Rhea." He greeted her with a smile as she took the seat opposite him.

"Tristan." She nodded, looking down to see that he had already took the liberty of ordering her food, "Typical." She muttered, tucking into the pancakes.

He chuckled, starting to eat his own breakfast.

"How're you?" He questioned, Rhea wasn't prepared to have a heart to heart over breakfast with Tristan De Martel.

"Peachy." She mumbled, she was saved from the conversation when Elijah arrived, placing a jar on the table, containing a bloody heart. Tristan did not look pleased as his sire slid into the seat next to Rhea.

"Elijah. I didn't realise we had a meeting on the books today." Elijah pushed the jar towards Tristan, as the latter wiped his face with a napkin.

"We don't. Unfortunately, your assistant refused to accommodate me." Tristan did not look impressed at Elijah's admission, throwing the napkin on to the table, "What would you like to discuss?"

Rhea had been listening, but was not particularly interested in the father-son talk that was likely to take place.

"Recent events would suggest you've been less than forthcoming about threats facing my family." Elijah's accusatory tone caught Rhea's attention, she too, had been wondering exactly why Lucien and Tristan had appeared in The Quarter, it was odd, indeed.

"A threat to you is a threat to me." Tristan's voice flooded with confusion, but he wasn't fooling Elijah, who only narrowed his eyes.

"Naughty little liar."

Rhea rolled her eyes, putting her fork down on her plate, "I'm sorry, would you like me to give you two some alone time?" Sarcasm laced into her every word.

Tristan looked amused at both Elijah's statement and Rhea's question, "I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh, I'm quite certain you do know precisely what I'm talking about, Tristan. I can hear that heart of yours racing away. You see, even as we speak, I suspect Niklaus is with your sister." Rhea's eyes widened, Aurora was here too? This was certainly not a coincidence. She briefly thought back to when the three of them were released from compulsion after a hundred years believing they were Mikaelsons, and the promise they made to make the Original family pay.

Elijah pulled out the blood stained letter Aurora had left Klaus earlier, placing it on the table— Tristan and Rhea read it, the latter could tell it was definitely Aurora. She always liked games.

"Well you know it's all gone to shít when the trinity is in town." Rhea remarked, Elijah couldn't help but smirk, she definitely had a way with words.

"I really wish you would watch your language, Rhea, but I do agree. It does seem odd— I don't have to tell you what a volatile combination the two of them are." Elijah was referring to Klaus and Aurora, he did have a valid point though, Rhea thought to herself.

"And you think I'm hiding her?"

"Wherever you go, she follows."

"It's true, on her good days. Years ago, Rory fell into one of her dark periods. It's been a long one, and has yet to lift. I saw she got the care she needed." Rhea narrowed her eyes, trying to distinguish if he was lying or not, she could read Tristan like a book and as far as she could tell— he really hadn't a clue.

"I don't care. Where is she?" There was something in Elijah's tone that alarmed Rhea, he almost sounded scared of what might happen if Klaus and Aurora really were together.

"Why do you seem so afraid, 'Lijah?"

Tristan smirked, "It appears that Elijah is afraid of what my sister may have to say to his brother." Rhea knew she was missing something, but what was it?

"Your sister has a habit of cultivating misfortune."

Tristan shrugged at Elijah's comment, "I can't disagree. And, as it happens, I don't know her current whereabouts, but I know she can't be here. I'm the first person she'd come to."

His sire narrowed his eyes, trying to find any signs of a lie before standing, intending to leave, he paused when he had gotten a few steps away, "I wouldn't be so sure about that."

Once Elijah was gone, Tristan picked up the letter again, examining it closely before placing it back on the table, uncertainty gracing his features.

"Tristan, what are you really doing here?"

Her question had caught him off guard, he wasn't expecting her to ask that of him, and he knew he couldn't tell her.

Leaning over the table slightly, he told her, "I cannot tell you my plans when I am not sure you're loyal to me and my people— but rest assured, sweet Rhea, the Mikaelsons will get what is coming to them."

Rhea gulped slightly, she wasn't sure where she stood in the impending war that seemed to loom above everyone as of late— the Mikaelsons, apart from Kol, had all hurt her in some way or another, countless times before. While she may be loyal to Kol, she was not in a position to pledge herself on team Mikaelson, they had far too many enemies and it was only a matter of time before someone finally bested them.

▽▲▽▲▽