Chapter 13: Surprise

***I only own Alexis. Enjoy :)***

(Alexis P.O.V)

The elevator ride was silent as Tony and I went up. Keeping my head down, I fiddled with the sleeves of Tony's massive jumper that I was wearing, trying to figure out what Pepper could have gotten me as a surprise. 

The elevator doors ding open and I look up sharply. We were on the floor that my bedroom was on. Looking up at Tony, I knew my eyes showing the confusion that was shrouding my mind. I open my mouth to ask what was happening but Tony just winks down at me and walks out before I can say anything, gesturing for me to follow. Padding behind him silently, I follow him into my room where I see Pepper on the couch, surrounded by bags. Lots of bags.

"What's going on?" I whisper. I didn't understand what was happening.  Pepper smiles at me and gestures me over. I look up at Tony, who's standing beside me, for reassurance. He nods and I cautiously make my way over to her, my hands clutching the cuffs on my sleeves in the death-grip. Pepper didn't scare me but, for some reason, I was more comfortable around Tony than any of the others despite him being a man. 

Walking over to her, I sit down beside as she directed. Once I had sat down on the couch, she smiles at me and says, "I know that we were meant to go shopping for clothes when we went out for dinner, but we only said that so the boys wouldn't follow. However, Nat and I did notice that you don't have a lot of clothes so we went online and ordered a whole range of clothes in your size." I don't think that my eyes could have gotten any wider at this point.

"All of i...it i...is for m...me?" I stutter in shock. I just could not believe someone would be that nice to me. The Runaway. The disappointment. The girl who was abused.

"Every single piece that you want is yours," Pepper smiled, placing a hand on my shoulder. I return her grin with a small one of my own before turning my gaze to Tony 

Pushing himself off the doorframe, he walks over to Pepper and I. "Everything you want is your's and whatever you don't want will be going to a charity of your choice," Tony explains as he makes his way over.

 'Well that changes things' I think to myself. There were so many kids worse off than me.

"Now in the bags are different outfits I think would look great on you, so pick some bags and go try the clothes on," Pepper smiles while gesturing the bags all around us. Tony drapes himself on the end on the couch as he sits down next to me. 

 "You gotta show us all the outfits that you try on for approval," Tony winks at me as I stand up and choose a few bags. I giggle softly as I patter over to the bathroom.

Walking into the bathroom, I close the door and look at the bags I had chosen. They were all black bags with no labels so I didn't know what stores Pepper had brought from. Looking inside the first bag, there was a pair of straight blue jeans with a red and black checkered button-up shirt. Quickly pulling them on, I look at the full-length mirror on the back of the door and smile at myself. Even with the slight bruising, that was slightly visible, I decided that I did quite like it.

"Come on, Shortcake, what's taking so long?" I hear Tony call which was followed by a 'thump' and an "OW." Opening the door, I see Pepper glaring at Tony, who was rubbing his thigh.  They both look up as I clear my throat and I shuffle towards them.

"Very nice," Pepper smiles warmly. I smile shyly as Tony nods at me. 

"I like the whole country girl vibe you've got goin' on, darling," He drawls in a bad imitation of a southern accent, causing me to stifle my giggle behind my hand.

Walking back, I try on the next outfit which consisted of a knee-length black floaty skirt with white sparkles littered all over it, matched with a light blue singlet and black jean jacket. Quickly changing, I skip back out and discover Clint, Nat and Steve have joined Pepper and Tony on the couch. Clint and Tony wolf-whistle while Nat, Steve and Pepper applaud.

"Give us a twirl, Sweetheart," Clint winks. Spinning with my arms out wide, I feel my skirt float out which brings more applause and whistles from the boys making me giggle as I come to a stop.

"Beautiful," Steve praises as he smiles at me.

"You look stunning, Shortcake," winks Tony with a grin.

"Absolutely amazing,  Sweetheart." Clint smiles warmly.

"Like a rock-chic princess," Nat laughs.

I smile at them all and skip back to the bathroom. I look up at the bench as I close the door. On it was my mini Arc Reactor. Picking it up, I smile at its soft blue glow. It seemed to be humming in my hands.

"Come on, Shortcake, Hurry up," Tony yells which is, again, followed by another 'thump' and "OW!"

********************************************************************

For the next few hours, I try on all the outfits putting them into ones I like and don't like. Thor and Bruce came in shortly after the others had arrived. They were always voicing their opinion, but overall Pepper did a fantastic job with the outfits. Finally, I had tried on all the clothes and the boys had all gone to go do other things while Nat and Pepper stayed with me to sort out all the clothes into my walk-in closet. It was quite a big closet. I had tried to choose the least amount I could, however, Tony said that if I liked the outfit, then I had to keep it and that he would buy even more clothes for those in need which had made me really happy.

As we all put the clothes away, I heard Pepper call my name.

"Yes?" I answer. I was feeling more confident around all the Avengers now since the little 'fashion show' I had put on.

"Is there anyone that would be looking for you?" She asks, glancing at me over her shoulder. I freeze, before violently shake my head.

"N....no one c...car...cares about m...me so w...why w...would t...th...they l...look?" I answer shakily.

"Are you sure that no one is looking for you?" Nat asks crouching next to me, placing her hand on my shoulder. I was beginning to feel trapped.

"W...Why are y...you a...asking?" I whisper, " Do y...you...w...want...m...me gone?" I could feel the tears burning in the back of my eyes. Despite only having been with the Avengers for a few days, I had come to care for them all.

"No, sweetheart. We are just concern that someone could be worried and be looking for you." Nat says.

"I have t...told...you t..that m..my mother is d...dead," I whimper, my eyes beginning to look for an escape.

"What about your father?" Pepper asks.

That was the last straw for me. I pushed past Pepper and Natasha and sprinted for the door. No one could know about my father. No one. 

***Another Chapter for you all. :) I love all the comments. Sorry for keeping you waiting but I do have quite a few assessments on at the moment sadly which takes up quite a bit of my time.***