Chapter 19

Content warning: slight mature content and strong language.

The aroma of freshly baked scones filled his parents' home as he entered the kitchen. It was late afternoon, days were getting warmer and with it brightening the home with sparkling sunlight. The kitchen windowsill was filled with colourful spring flowers and the radiators were switched off as temperatures reached in double digits.

"Where have you been busy all these days? You haven't bothered to visit us," an annoying Chloe asked her son. Her hands were on her hips and she was frowning, standing in the middle of the kitchen.

"My mother darling, your son was busy at work and with his fiancé," Daud winked.

Chloe's eyes widened, "Really, you have been seeing her?" she was surprised knowing the Islamic teachings of no communication between the couple before the matrimonial ceremony of nikkah.

He smirked and kissed his Mom's cheek, "Yes and your would-be daughter in law kept me busy."

Her eyes softened, "Well I am glad to see you are happy. That's all that matters to me."

"You have been baking right? I can smell some goodies." Daud asked arcing as he sniffed.

"Yes there are freshly baked scones. I will put the kettle on and so you can have it with tea." Chloe said moving towards the electric kettle on the kitchen counter.

Daud touched his mom's arm lightly, "No Mom I will make tea, why don't you sit there" he gently turned his Mom and pointed at the kitchen chair, "And tell me all the new gossips of your friends."

Daud was busy preparing the Irish tea while Chloe spoke of her friends and in within few minutes Ibrahim was home. He had one glance at his son and a smile broke his tired face.

"It's good to see you, son."

Daud smiled back and placed the tea mugs on the kitchen table.

"Take out the jam and butter from the fridge so we can have it with scones," Chloe called out as Daud was taking out the tray of scones from the oven.

When all of them were seated around the kitchen table savouring tea and the scones, Ibrahim broke the silence, "I have to talk to you about the wedding plans."

Daud nodded thoughtfully, "Yes that is what I am here for."

"Where would you want the valima? At the masjid community hall or somewhere else?" Ibrahim asked as he sipped his tea.

"I want the valima in a big hotel and I want you to invite every single of your acquaintances. So that all may know about your son's wedding." Daud said with a determination.

Ibrahim frowned, "I would prefer a moderate valima. Why spend so much money?"

Daud pursed his lips so that he wouldn't say something that would offend his father. What he really wanted to say was he wanted to prove the world and especially Dada jaan that he can marry a pious Muslim girl which his grandfather believed he wasn't worth of.

"Well I have told you what I think. Rest is up to you," Daud mumbled as he bit into the jam filled scone.

"Ok let's get a booking done in a hotel and then we will work out the guest list." Ibrahim suggested.

Daud nodded lost in his broodings that less than two months were left. He was eagerly waiting for the days to pass so he could start his married life with Nawal. He cursed himself every day for why he accepted these torturous four months period until the wedding. It seemed these four months had dragged the longest in his life. But as he discussed with his parents the wedding preparations, he couldn't stop being excited knowing time was coming near finally.