Chapter 12: Taming the Hurricane, Part 1

Twelve

Twelve

28th Fledgling

A cool breeze washed over the mountain as Cumulo soared in widening circles. Mhysra lay against his back, enjoying the sun. It was a beautiful morning, made all the more special by the news three days ago that she'd passed her exams, along with all her friends.

"It's nearly ready," Cumulo called, dipping a wing and banking sideways.

Mhysra's knees tightened as the world tipped, giving her an excellent – if unusual – view of the activity below. A quarter of the flying field was covered in scaffolding, explaining why she and the rest of the students had been given a half-moon break.

"Glad I don't have to stay there."

Chuckling, Mhysra smoothed Cumulo's wind-ruffled feathers. "If you weren't already bonded you'd be too excited about the Choice to care about the accommodation."

Cumulo snorted. "Hardly. Humans get excited about the Choice. Miryhls don't. All the Choice does is bind us to a lifetime of work."

"Charming," she replied. "Are you saying miryhls don't gain anything from the bond?"

"Yes."

"But Riders get to fly, so that's the only reason they care about their miryhls?"

"Something like that," he agreed, flapping away from the city-side of the mountain.

"So the fact you roost in the best eyries and get fresh meat regularly, whether you work or not, is not worth having?"

Cumulo didn't answer, taking them on a skin-tingling dive down a gully instead. Clinging tightly, Mhysra gasped, heart racing with the exhilaration of being at one with her miryhl. It was true, Riders did gain a lot through the bond, and the gift of flying wasn't something she could ever give up, but miryhls were more than just mounts. They were partners, protectors, friends. Or even family.

The base of the gully broke over the mountainside and Cumulo drifted down to the Cloud Sea, its turbulent winds making Mhysra's teeth chatter. Skimming over a low outcrop, Cumulo kicked off the frozen rocks and took them back up to where the air was warm and clear.

Passing a Rider patrol, Mhysra waved. "Are you sorry?"

Swooping under the other flyers, Cumulo tilted his head and eyed her curiously. "About?"

"Being bonded to me. I know neither of us had a choice, but do you mind?" She'd never considered it before, but his comments worried her. He was the one constant in her life, as important as home or friends. It wasn't quite breathing, but with Cumulo life was worth living. She'd always assumed he felt the same, but what if he didn't? If he'd been free to accept another Rider, would he have jumped at the chance, even if it meant leaving her behind? Was their Wingborn status a hindrance to him, where it had always been a gift to her?