Chapter 51

[Well, nobody commented about the author's note in the last chapter. Kinda disappointed.]

With his hands in his pockets, he trudged down the hall, humming a soft tune. He passed by people, movements unfinished.

Two men, on each side of a bed with wheels, were going down the same hall as he. Curiosity got the better of him, and he stopped to take a peek at the person's face.

A long scar ran from the top of his left eye and brow, crossing the bridge of his nose and ending at his cheek. There seemed to be a mark, unmistakably a burn, just near the tip of the scar.

Must be a new guy they found somewhere. He thought and continued down the hall, humming another tune. I think he was the one Mirage was talking about.

He smiled when he remembered that night. He knew that he could never tell her what he saw in her bedroom, if he did, he'll end up underground, deeper than their new base's lowest level had gone.

He stopped walking once he noticed the metal door in front of him. He reached out a rather frail hand to the knob and opened the door, revealing a laboratory.

The only person in the room was a lady, with dark locks of hair that cascaded over her shoulders, covering most of her coat clad back.

As the door closed behind him, time had resumed, but this time, an aching feeling erupted in his head. He scowled.

Dante, why do you have to almost kill her? Ugh.

At the sound of the door closing, the lady jumped and spun around, showing brown dough eyes.

"Tempus? You're supposed to be in your room, resting!" She sighed, shaking her head. "All of you are stubborn, I swear..."

"Almost getting killed is not an excuse to stay in bed. If you've heard of video games, you'll understand." He pulled on a brash smile, "You don't really need to know what video games are. You're too old for it. How old are you, anyway?"

She placed the two vials of chemicals on a rack, crossing her arms over her chest. "Boy, I'll have you know that I am not eighty years old, not even half. I am twenty-nine, for your information." She had on an irritated look.

"Oh, yeah, I forgot about that no-asking- ladies-their-ages rule." He chuckled.

She sighed again. "What are you doing this late?"

His smile faded and his expression turned stern. "I'm just here to inform you that I'm pausing the mission."

Her brows raised, and her eyes displayed surprised. "The mission? As in, to track down Lana? You know, Shi will be mad if we haven't had information on where she is..."

"Who said that we don't?"

"Then ,why haven't you told anyone?" She asked, but as soon as she looked straight at his eyes, she knew exactly why. "You're getting attached to her, aren't you?"

"Technically, we always have been." At that moment, he felt a small amount of pain in his forearm. He disregarded it as a part of one of Kira's activities of the day.

He heard her mutter, "Separating you two most of your lives didn't work after all..."

He glared at her, making her smile sheepishly.

"Give her a chance to have fun. She hasn't in years." Tempus told her, closing one eye to take a look at what she's doing. He sees a redhead laughing, running away.

"But what's the point if she'll end up back here?" The lady grabbed the two vials again after putting on rubber gloves. She poured the two chemicals into a beaker. She then took a glass rod and mixed the chemicals, all the while, her eyes still on him.