35: James

"And you want us to go?" Mark echoed.

Jace nodded his head. "We can't, because we have to run the party. And you guys are good Shadowhunters, you can do it."

Emma, Julian, Matthew, Cristina, Mark, Cordelia, and I all stood with Clary, Jace, Isabelle, and Simon. Jace had told us that the Clave had called, saying there was a pack of Raveners on the loose, and that they needed to go and kill them.

"Alright." Emma shrugged. "I don't mind."

"You guys will have to stay in your clothes, though." Clary frowned. "The Clave said to go right away."

Emma and Cristina groaned, but Cordelia looked happy.

"I fight in this kind of clothing all of the time. It's not as hard as it seems." She told Emma and Cristina.

"The weapons room is just down the hall, there. Take anything you need." Jace spoke. "Good luck."

We all smiled at him, and walked towards the weapons room. I quickly grabbed seraph blades and knives, and then marked Matthew. We then switched, and he marked me. Even after all these years, it still hurt a bit to get marked, and I bit down on my lip to mask the pain. I watched as Cordelia marked Cristina, and my cheeks flamed. I had almost kissed her. I mentally slapped myself. Why had I done that? Now it was very obvious that I fancied her.

Once we were all ready, we met Clary and Jace by the front doors. They told us where the pack was, wished us good luck, and then we left. I walked alongside Matthew, and looked around. New York was a very bit city, and all of the lights were fascinating. My mother was from here, I knew. She always spoke about taking Lucie and I here one day.

"Lucie and Jesse are going to be wondering where we are. And Anna." Cordelia frowned.

Matthew waved it off. "They're both too busy with other people to notice."

"Where are we even going?" Cristina asked.

"It's by the sewage pipes." Julian looked disgusted.

Emma groaned. "Clary and Jace are going to owe us for this."

"They did save the world." Cristina pointed out.

"True." Emma replied.

We all kept walking, and I shivered from the cold night air. Emma and Cristina were tripping over their dresses, while Cordelia walked gracefully, looking lost in thought.

"This damn dress." Emma grumbled, annoyed.

Cordelia laughed. "They're not that bad. I fight in these all the time, when we don't have time to change into gear."

"I don't know how." Emma huffed. "They're huge."

"You get used to it." Cordelia replied, airily.

We walked for about ten more minutes, and then we finally reached the demon's nest. I could smell the scent of them awhile before we reached them, and I resisted the urge to gag. We all readied our weapons, and waited silently for them attack. I heard something rustle in the bushes behind me, and I snapped around, just as a Ravener demon lunged at me. I slashed at it, and it was shot back, but came at me again.

Matthew and I fought back to back, and I could feel the adrenaline running through my veins because of the fight, and Matthew and I's bond. We moved in sync, knowing where the other would be before they actually moved. In battle, we were one body and one mind. When I killed the last demon, I looked up, to see how everyone else was doing. Emma and Julian were fighting back to back, like Matthew and I, Emma somehow managing in her dress.

Mark and Cristina were fighting beside each other. Mark's arrows were flying everywhere, and Cristina was slashing at the demons with her seraph blade. Finally, there was Cordelia, fighting off the demons with her seraph blade. Then, everything seemed to happen in slow motion. I saw the demon lunge at her, from behind her. Suddenly, I felt myself running towards Cordelia. I pushed her out of the way, and the demon knocked me down.

I fell hard on the cement, pain shooting through my back. I then felt a sharp pain in my neck, and I started to feel very dizzy. The last thing I heard was Matthew shouting my name, before everything went black.

* * *

"This is all my fault."

"No, it's not."

"It is. I should have been paying attention behind me. It was stupid of me."

"Everyone thinks it's their fault. Emma, Julian, Matthew, Mark, Cristina. Even Clary and Jace think it is their fault, since they sent you all out to fight."

"It's my fault, Lucie."

"Cordelia, it is not. Stop saying that."

I tried to move my lips, and open my eyes, but they seemed to be glued shut. I faded into nothingness, a moment later.

* * *

"How long has it been?"

"Matthew, Magnus said it would take awhile for the demon venom to get out of his system."

I heard Matthew sigh. "James. Always getting himself into trouble."

"I'm pretty sure that's you."

"Emma, you are not helping right now."

"Sorry, I wasn't thinking."

Just like the last time, I faded into nothingness.

* * *

When I finally opened my eyes, I was blinded by bright light. I blinked a few times, and everything came into focus. I was laying in the infirmary of the Los Angeles Institute. Matthew was sitting on a chair by my bed.

"Look who finally awoke from the dead." He sounded amused.

I scowled. "I almost die, and that is the first thing you say to me?"

"I already knew you weren't going to die, because if you did, Jace wouldn't exist." Matthew grinned. "I am too clever, I know."

I only chuckled and shook my head. Matthew leaned forward.

"You saved Cordelia's life." He spoke seriously.

"I did." I said, feeling a bit surprised at myself.

"She thinks it is all her fault, you know. She's barely spoken to anyone, but Lucie." Matthew said. "She rarely left your side."

I smiled crookedly. "Think she fancies me?"

Matthew laughed. "After this, I'll be surprised if she doesn't love you."

I chuckled. I hope you're right, I thought.