25. Terminal

Before I even opened my eyes, I reached my arms up over my head and let the stretch consume my body all the way down to my toes. Chloe was already up and I could hear her downstairs, chattering away to Catniss. It made me happy to think that I could still visit my kitty when I came home, that I didn't have to give her away to some stranger and never see her again. This was the perfect situation all around.

I stopped in the doorway of the kitchen, overcome by a yawn, followed by another hearty stretch. My mom came over and kissed my cheek. "How did you sleep, sweetie?" 

"Wonderfully, as always," I smiled, lazily making my way to the coffee pot. Slowly pouring the blackish fuel into my cup, I looked around for my favorite creamer, which my mom set directly in front of me with a grin. 

"I didn't forget," she winked. "So, what time are you heading to the festival?" She asked.

"Aaliyah isn't free til after lunch, so we were thinking mid-afternoon," I told her. "But I want to see Thomas, too."

"Why don't you wait til tomorrow?" Mom suggested. "He's likely to be tired out today after transitioning from the hospital to home." That sounded reasonable, but it felt almost careless to postpone an opportunity to see him when he was slipping away so fast.

Chloe came strolling in with Catniss happily purring in her arms. "Is Harry your boyfriend?" She asked.

My mother gave me an amused look out of the corner of her eye.

"We had a short video call last night before bed," I informed her. And then I filled Chloe in. "I guess you could call him my boyfriend." It sounded odd, though, seeing as Harry was in his mid-30's. Was there ever an age when it became inappropriate to call each other boyfriend  and girlfriend, terms that seemed to be reserved for high-schoolers? Was there a better term?

"I like him," she quipped and then went back to watching her Saturday morning shows with the kitty tucked in her arms.

Just after lunch time, I changed into my Johnny Cash t-shirt, my favorite jeans and my cowboy boots. Of course, a country music festival was the perfect excuse to show off my cowboy hat as well, an accessory I wouldn't be caught dead wearing in Downtown Chicago. I snapped a selfie and sent it to Harry with the caption, The transformation is complete.

My phone buzzed much too quickly for it to be a reply from Harry. It was Aaliyah, asking if we could stop at a flea market and craft show event downtown. I sent a speedy yes back to her.

Putting the finishing touches on my makeup, the phone buzzed again. I tapped the screen, looking down to see Harry's response: That's quite the look. I could get used to it. HS

I texted back. Good, because I already bought you a hat just like mine.

Let's not rush anything, he texted back, making me laugh.

And don't forget line dancing :) You made me learn swing.

Another topic to be discussed at a later time. Have a great time today. Call me later? HS

Do you always sign texts with your initials? Ell

Sorry, force of habit ;) talk to you later. Harry x

I swooned just a teeny bit at the electronic kiss and tucked my phone securely into my pocket. Aaliyah was outside, honking her horn, so I grabbed the rest of my things and scurried out, calling good-bye to my family as I left.

It turned out the craft show was just about next door to the music festival, so I followed Aaliyah around while enjoying Luke Bryan's voice from a distance. I was excited to see all the performers, really, but I was most eager to see Willie Nelson. Yes, ancient, but in my mind, still the best there was. In addition to Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings, of course. I'd been able to see all three of them at different times throughout my life, as my parents shared my love of classic country. But now since Willie was the sole survivor of my favorite three, I'd have to enjoy hearing him play on for the other two.