Chapter 33 - Part of the Family

Chapter 33

I slip into the silky evening gown hesitantly, not wanting to ruin it in anyway. The dress hugs my upper body to then cascade down to pool around my ankles in sheets of shimmering sheets of navy blue material. It’s a halter neck style with the straps making a cross against my otherwise bare back. For anyone who knows me and my bad taste in clothes, it’s obvious that someone else picked out this dress.

“Mom picked it out, didn’t she?”

I whirl around, mentally giggling like a little girl as the skirt of the dress fans out slightly before coming to rest around my legs again. I beam at Seth, holding my arms up, and giving another twirl, “Yeah she did. What do you think?”

He walks over in his suit and kisses me on the cheek, “You look great, Hailey.”

I smile up at him, “Thank you Seth.”

He puts his hands in his pocket, “So, are we ready to go? Everyone else is waiting downstairs.”

My eyes widen and I immediately begin bustling around my room trying to find the rest of the things to complete my outfit. After slipping on some peep-toe pumps and looking at my hair in the mirror with utter despair I’m ready to go down.

“So why do I get an escort?” I enquire as we both make our way down the stairs.

Seth shrugs, “Dylan’s got everyone positioned for a photo in the living room and since I was closest to the doorway he got me to go up and grab you.”

We walk into the living room and I stare at the little display that’s taking place. It looks like a freaking photo shoot.

Dylan’s mucking around with one of those massive cameras while his parents are sitting on a loveseat on the white backdrop that’s set up. The guys are all spaced around them, the twins on either side for symmetry and Sam sitting on the ground looking bored out of his mind.

“Can we go nowwww?” he whines, sounding like this is the 50th time he’s asked.

Dylan glances up to see me standing by myself in the doorway looking stunned. “Go.” He orders, pointing at the empty space behind his parents next to Jake.

“But i-isn’t this a family photo?” I stammer.

Dylan gives me an annoyed look, “It is. Now go stand in your place before I personally pick you up and throw you there. We’re already late as it is.”

I hurry over to the space and squeeze in between Jake and Seth who’s already taken his place. I feel touched that Dylan wants to include me. I can feel Jake’s gaze on me but I ignore it, knowing that I’ll immediately start blushing as soon as I look at him.

“I knew you’d look stunning in that dress.” Claire grins at me, turning around.

“Mom! The camera’s over here!” Dylan shouts before pressing a button. He dashes over and takes a seat next to Sam on the floor, “Ok everyone, there’s going to be 20 different photos with 3 second intervals so I want the first two to be nice big smiles and the others can be whatever you want.”

Before we can process what he’s said the camera flash goes off and we stand up straight as if we’ve practised this.

We pull weird faces and pose like movie characters and then all crack up laughing at the absurdity of all our expressions. Once we’re done Dylan grabs his camera and refuses to show us how stupid we look in the photos, ordering us to get out of the house and into the cars. We all bustle out of the house, excited about Dylan’s presentation night and to see what his movie is about. It only comes to our attention a few minutes later that we don’t have enough room for everyone in the cars. This problem is quickly resolved.